Chapter 4.

Remy A. Taylor

"Bitch it's hot as hell." I complained to Tori, using my hand to fan myself for emphasis.

"Let's go get some ice cream." Dayvid suggested and I agreed, stealing his entirely too big hat, fanning myself as we walked the stretch to the ice cream shop.

It was the weekend and the three of us had absolutely nothing to do so we were walking around town, which was probably the worse decision, seeing that it was August in Texas.

August in Texas. My thoughts drifted off to the man I'd met earlier in the week, who couldn't drive and had a staring problem.

I don't know why I would be thinking about him, I didn't know him and from what I was told, I didn't want to.

And I kinda felt like I had this thing for attracting the broken. The weird niggas and the ain't shit niggas who needed fixing. I usually wasn't the one who fixed them.

I didn't date much. To avoid heartbreak and because I had too many of my own personal issues.

I had a boyfriend once before and I'd shown him the scars on my arms in an intimate moment and he waved me off saying, "That's that Becky in you." because my family has white in it.

I rolled my eyes at the memory as the three of us made our way into the ice cream parlor.

He was there.

August was leaving out as we were coming in and we shared brief eye contact before he left.

I bit my lip before looking down and walking to catch up with my friends.

"That shit spooky." Tori was saying.

"What is?" I asked.

"He keep showing up everywhere we go." Dayvid said, nodding her head at August, who was still outside standing in front of his car.

He turned quickly and came back inside of the parlor, walking directly towards me.

"Wassup, what's ya name, love?" He asked me and I was frozen.

Which was completely out of character for me. I always had a snappy comeback for any and everybody I met.

"I-it's Remy." I managed to force out and he nodded slowly, just staring at me.

I glanced back at my friends and they were just as stunned as me.

"Remy, I'm August, it's very nice to finally make your acquaintance." His strong accent gave me this feeling in the pit of my stomach. I couldn't tell if they were butterflies or roaches.

"Y-yeah." I said, still looking at him like he was crazy.

"Somethin' told me do dat. Come in here and introduce myself. I'm sorry for almost hittin' you wit' my car and starin' at you at the restaurant. You just a very beautiful girl and I'm not scared to admit that I was admiring that about you."

That snapped me out of my trance, making me mutter a dry, "Thanks."

I couldn't help but to feel like he was lying to me. People had gotten into my head so much that I thought I couldn't be that beautiful.

August touched my arm making me flinch and Dayvid took that as his opportunity to step forward.

"It was nice seeing you, August."