Chapter 6

August A. Alsina

I looked ova' at Remy, who was lookin' out da window as I drove.

I'd offered ta take ha ridin' because I was tryna see what God wanted me ta do wit' dis girl. I'd come to the conclusion this was all his doin', there was no other explanation.

Just why?

Why did he put the two of us togetha constantly? I wasn't a person who believed in coincidences. Hopefully I would find out ta'night.

"Where is this?" She asked as I pulled into a secluded spot near some water.

Naomi had brought me here befo' and I still occasionally visited just ta feel closer to ha.

"A special place." I said before gettin' out and she followed behind me.

We walked closer to tha edge of tha water befo' sittin' down.

I glanced over at her as the moonlight accentuated how beautiful she was. I couldn't lie like she wasn't.

"Are you from Louisiana?" She asked out of nowhere, turning to me and I tried to act like I wasn't just staring.

"Yea, New Awlins. You can tell?"

She nodded quickly and I laughed, "Tell me 'bout you, Miss. Remy."

She shrugged, "Not much to tell, I'm 18, I go to school and will graduate this year. My last name Taylor."

I looked at her and she looked upset, "That's it?"

"Yep."

"That's all you wanna tell me?" I pressed.

"Yes, August."

"Why you got a bag in the backseat?"

"I don't think it's any of your business." She snapped and I held my hands up in surrender and we just looked at the water in silence.

"My mother and I got into it earlier because I got suspended from school for fighting." She whispered and I nodded.

"Why was you fighting?" I asked.

"The same females pick with me every single school year and I've always been one to avoid conflict. But when people just keep pushing, and pushing, and pushing the same buttons over and over again you snap, you know?" She expressed angrily and I reached over to pat her back, making her flinch.

I attempted to do it again and she relaxed.

"I know what you sayin', mama."

She looked at me, "Do you?"

"Of course. Some people ask for dat shit and sometimes the only way to get them to leave you alone is beat dey ass. Did you beat dey ass?"

She laughed at me before nodding.

"My nigga. So what happened wit' ya mama?"

She shrugged, "I don't wanna talk about it. She was just talkin' crazy as usual so I left."

"That's it?" I continued to pry and she sighed.

"She kept pushing me and shit. I pushed her back and she slapped me in the face. She always push me sometimes but she ain't never hit me in my face and if I didn't leave we would have got to fighting."

"So ya mama hit you all tha' time?" I looked at her, shocked ta be honest.

I neva knew mothers to put they hands on they daughter. Pushing, slapping, punching, regardless it was abuse.

Remy nodded in response to my question, "She called me a nutcase too. Said the people at church call me crazy and talk about me."

"Sound like ta me you need a new church." I chuckled.

Even though I did what I did, I also believed in God and when I had time, I go to church.

"You go to church?" She asked me, not seeming to believe it.

"When I make tha time. Why ya say it like dat?" I sat back on my elbows looking at her.

"I don't know, I hear things." She whispered.

"If I ever tell you anything, never buhlee anythang anybody tell you 'bout me. Nobody know me and everybody that knew me is dead."

She was quiet for a while, "Why you in my business?"

"Ta be honest witchu I have no idea whatsoever. I'm tryna figure dat out right na."

"Well, I'd better take you home or whatever." She stood up, cutting our bonding time short.

I followed her ta the car, getting in tha passengers seat dis time and we drove back ta the gas station, a Bryson Tiller song playin softly on tha radio.

"Where ya finna go?" I asked her, leaning into the drivers window and she answered me with a shrug.

"I'll go to my friend Dayvid's house until I feel like going back home. It was nice kickin' it with you, I guess." She said, not looking in my eyes.

"Give me ya numba' at least." I took my phone out.

She read her number off to me before we exchanged goodbyes and she pulled off.

I watched her drive off before making my way to my own car.

"Please lawd let dis be da right thang I'm doin'."

Authors Note

This was shitty but I got something good planned for next chapter.