Chapter 37

August A, Alsina

"How you feel Remy? Like, overall." I asked her as she folded up a shirt and packed it into another box.

"I'm happy for my daddy, I'm glad he's moving out. I'm looking forward to us becoming closer. My mom got what she deserved for being such a horrible person, as did Laila and MJ. Ima be honest it's been a very long ride and a lot happened since I met you but I'm so much happier. I wouldn't want my life any other way." She finished talking and I came to wrap my arms around her small frame.

"I luh you, girl. I swear you mean everything to me I'm so proud of your growth and how you been handling everything." I pulled her into my arms and sighed because I meant everything I said.

When I first met Remy I was trying to heal. I told her I loved her early on in our relationship and I meant dat shit one hundred percent. I knew God had sent me an angel even if she felt broken herself. We healed each other. If it wasn't for her, I'd probably be dead and vise versa.

After our la' heart to heart we picked up the boxes and packed them into Mr. Taylor's truck.

"I'm glad you're moving into something smaller anyway daddy. This house was always too big for us. Maybe you can make the new one more like a home." Remy spoke to her father and I leaned up against the car, half listening.

"I plan on it. Me and you are gonna become the best of friends. I took some time off work and I hope you can take some off of August to spend with your old man. You wouldn't mind now would you, August?" Reed turned to me and I waved him off with a chuckle.

"I need a break from that chatter box anyway." And the three of us laughed while Remy gave me a playful shove.

A car pulled into the driveway and I stood up straighter, slightly pushing Remy behind me since the car was unfamiliar.

Detective Gates stepped out of the drivers seat and I sucked my teeth.

"Mr and Miss. Taylor. It's nice to see you all. Mr. Alsina. Moving?" He made conversation and I just looked at him blankly.

"Yes, well after my wife was shot and paralyzed with no help from the police I decided I need something new. Can I help you?" Reed got straight to the point and I knew I always liked dat nigga.

"I just wanted to formally apologize for my failure to solve your case."

"Oh really? Which one? The one where some
men robbed and beat my father up 3 months ago? Or the one where he was attacked and put in the hospital? Or when they shot at this exact house? How about when my bestfriend was found dead in a lake? Is that solved yet? Sounds like to me they need to tear the whole damn department down and get some new shit. The police be real quick to arrest a black man who does something to a white woman but when it's shit happening to us, ya'll don't give a shit! I'd expect from you since you black yourself," Remy was going off on him and we didn't bother to stop her this time because he deserved it, "Now out of respect Mr. Gates I been holding my tongue but after all this shit that's been happening and ain't a fucking thing being done about it, I'ma respectfully ask you to get the fuck off my daddy's motherfucking property."

He went to say something in response but the dark look in mine and Mr. Taylor's eyes made him back off and make his way back to his car.

"Alright come on and help me get the hell away from this haunted house." Reed spoke.

Authors Note
I planned on adding more to this chapter but ima save it all for the next. Might be a few time skips this book should be over by chapter 40.

i planned on writing some more but damn i cant even consistently update this one and i know yall tired of my shit. let me know though. i got two book ideas.