|CHAPTER 10: NO PROMISES|

Life had broken her
but she was still there
persisting
in the shards
of her
broken pieces.

• • •

"Well it's nice to know that you're not a cold hearted bastard," a sly smiled was on her face as she sipped her martini, causing Jace to groan yet again.

"I told you, Eva. They're not good parents. They're not like yours. Besides it's Christmas, I'm forced to be there, it's not like I'm going willingly."

"It's still nice to know that you visit them at least once a year," she rolled her eyes, and dropped her glass, taking a look from the plane's window.

"Good to be home, huh?"

"You have no idea. I mean Chicago is great and all but a year is too long. I missed New York," a warm feeling settled in the pit of her stomach, once the towering skyscrapers came into view.

"You still didn't answer my question by the way."

"Yes I did. I said I'm not going on a date with you," she glared at him, and he frowned.

"That's not the answer I'm accepting."

"Well, it's the only you're getting, so you might as well learn to accept it."

"Come on. It's not like I'm some hobo, have you seen me?" He gestured over to himself, and she scoffed.

"I've seen way better, and I thought I told you, I don't mix business with pleasure."

"You have now reached your destination. New York City. Please unfasten your seatbelts-"

***

"Hey, whore!"

Her voice snapped Evelyn out of her daze, and she ran as fast as her feet could carry her.

"Madi!"

She engulfed her into a hug, that squeezed living hell out of both of them.

"A year! A fucking year! I had to remain friend-less waiting for you!"

"I missed you too, you psycho."

"I'd love to spend the day with you, and ruin people's lives, but we only have a few hours so we better make the most of them."

"I'm tagging along, Blondie." Jace smirked, and she squealed, giving him a quick hug.

"The more the merrier."

***

"Hey, bar boy! Shots! Plenty of shots! Put it on his tab!"

Jace rolled his eyes, downing his drink, and bumping Madison.

"Glad to know that you won't be paying anything," he teased her and her jaw dropped, eyes narrowing to slits.

"You're both billionaires for christ's sake, let me live a little. And I loved my Christmas present, Eve!" She twirled around, and gave Evelyn a quick hug.