|CHAPTER 51: NO MORE SAD SONGS|

She wanted someone to love her in the same way she had finally learned to love
herself.

• • •

Setting down the burgers on the table outside, Tony Stark wiggled his eyebrows at his lab partner and grinned.

Bruce had said that he would burn them, but now that he saw that they looked perfectly edible, tasty even, he took his words back.

Natasha was laughing along with Evelyn and Clint in the far corner of the backyard, Steve was playing cards with Lucas, Banner was busy eyeing Natasha from afar, and Tony was making hamburgers.

And in the midst of his thoughts, Tony Stark realised that he was smiling.

Something he rarely ever did.

"Tony, sweetie, I am so glad that our barbecue was successful this year, and I'm so happy that you finally introduced us to your new friends. I was kinda getting bored of Pepper and Rhodey." Diana wrapped an arm around his shoulder, and gave him a kiss on the cheek.

"We heard that." Rhodey huffed, giving Eve's mother a playful glare.

"You were meant to. Now please, if you'll excuse me, I am starving and I wish to eat." Taking a seat, she grabbed the ketchup and started to make herself comfortable with the burgers and fries.

Everyone was running towards the table, thankful that it was lunchtime already.

He felt her hands snake their way around his waist and he grinned.

"I'm back." Evelyn smiled, and Tony frowned.

"You were out? I've barely even noticed."

Rolling her eyes, she placed a sloppy kiss on his lips.

"Get a room you two, people are eating here." Pepper playfully complained, stifling a giggle.

Evelyn made a move to grab a plate, but Tony's comment stopped her.

"If I had known you were coming Evelyn I would have made more burgers." Tony smirked, earning a glare.

He was indirectly telling her that she ate too much.

"This is literally my parents' backyard, what gave you the idea that I wouldn't come?" She scoffed, crossing her arms, still holding on to her plate.

"Well, you were a bit sore last night, I thought you wouldn't be able to move."

Evelyn gaped at him for a second before her glare was back on her face again.

"Tell me you didn't say that out loud." She hissed, and he smiled sweetly.

"I didn't say that out loud." He humoured her.

"I'm gonna choke you out with your own tie, Stark." She growled, hoping that her parents haven't heard his inappropriate comment, she didn't want them scarred for life.

"Seems a bit drastic, but whatever floats your boat."

Before Evelyn's fist could collide with his face, Madison had interrupted their loving conversation.

"Stop bickering you two, or I swear to god I'll eat your burgers, and I won't even regret it."

Well let's just say, that got them hurrying towards the table.

***

Family.

Family had been Evelyn's priority ever since she was a child.

Her mother, her father, Tony.

She had never cared about anything more.

The amount of love she carried for all of them was limitless.

And it wouldn't change, only now her family was slightly larger in number.

Now, she had her friends, she had the team, she had Rhodey and Pepper.

She had plenty of people who loved her in return, and maybe that was enough.

That was enough for her

Family.

It was all she had ever wanted.

"How much do you love me?" He hummed in her neck, watching her scrub the dishes.

"Very much." She exhaled, leaning back against Tony for a second.

"So, can you do something for me?" His tone was playful.

"Yeah?" She felt him unwrap his hands from her waist and inhale, as if somewhat excited.

Frowning, she faced him slowly, and a harsh gasp sounded through the kitchen.

Tony Stark down on one knee carrying her old engagement ring on his hand, asking her to marry him for the millionth time in their life.

"Put it back on your finger, Vee. It belongs to you, it always will belong to you." He whispered, hoping for the life of him that this was it for them this time.

Her eyes were now watery, but she nodded nevertheless.

She was sure.

She was absolutely positive that there was no one else she would rather grow old with.

No one else to be the father of her children.

"This is the real deal, Evelyn. I'm gonna put this ring on your finger, and I'm gonna marry you. I'm gonna have kids with you, and I'm gonna love you for the rest of my life. Are you ready for that?"

"Bring it on, Stark." She grinned at him, now sure that she wanted to bear his last name.

She wanted to belong to him.

And just like that, he slid his ring on her finger for the second and last time.