|CHAPTER 40: ANIMALS|

Some people walk away but never truly leave.

• • •

Mischievously, Romanoff smirked as she slid her 'Deal Breaker' card on the table, which drew a betrayed and over exaggerated gasp from the blonde.

"You did not!" Evelyn crossed her arms, and pouted, watching Nat with envy as she took away her set.

"Fine. Take that bitch. Just say no!" Evelyn poked her tongue out to the now annoyed spy.

"You know, your competitiveness is scaring me, Evelyn." Tony mumbled, walking into the living room, where he found everyone scattered around the table, playing Monopoly Deal.

"I win, you bloody bastards!" Evelyn jumped up and down, her hair messing up every where, "Take that Nat! Ha!"

A low grin was on his face as he watched her celebrate her victory over his friends.

"Hey, Vee? Can I talk to you for a sec?"

They had walked out of the room, and he started rocking back and forth on his feet, nervous.

"Is everything alright, baby?" Rubbing his arm, she frowned, watching his throat bob.

"It's just...you're not pregnant, are you?"

The question caught her completely off guard, and she was like a deer caught in headlights.

"No..." she truthfully responded.

"I mean...are you sure because...it's just..." he exhaled quickly, and looked away from her.

"Hey, it's okay. You can tell me." She nodded, a soft and genuine look on her face.

"I just had a dream...that we had a son. We had a son, and..."

She released a small sad sigh, and wondered if he would ever stop talking about having kids with her.

Not that she didn't want kids, but they had just gotten back together, throwing a baby into the mix wouldn't do anyone any good.

"We named him Lucas, like your dad, and...it was so real."

(#InfinityWar)

Evelyn inhaled deeply, a genuine smile coating her face.

"Honey, I'm not."

"Are you sure?"

"I am." She sighed.

"Positive?" He slowly rubbed both of his palms on her bare arms, stealing glances at her stomach every second.

"Tony," she cupped his cheek with her right hand, and she let out a short breath, "I'm not pregnant."

After she had clarified that she indeed wasn't, he huffed out, unsatisfied.

"Well, I just...I thought just in case..." he trailed off, pulling pregnancy tests from behind his back, wincing slightly, expecting her to blow up.