|CHAPTER 25: RADIOACTIVE|

The more I try finding rooms in you, the more you lock me away.

• • •

"Why are you so worked up about this!?" She snapped, "I mean that's how you like it isn't it? The no strings attached kinda thing?"

She had done her best to avoid this conversation, and yet she knew it would somehow come up again anyway.

"Yes, but I never wanted it like that with you. I want more with you." Tony's eyes softened, all traces of anger slowly slipping away.

"And I can't give you that. I'm sorry, Tony, but I can't commit to you. I can't allow myself to be yours anymore." She shook her head, she had a lot of baggage, she had plenty of regrets and she didn't want him to bring more of those again, she didn't want to let him in.

"Then let me be yours." He stepped closer to her desk, taking her hand in his, and then he sighed.

"I have to get to work." Smiling slightly, she pushed her laptop open, and watched in annoyance as he slammed it shut again.

"Stop running away from our conversations. You can't just sleep with me, and act like nothing happened. God, I sound like a girl." He scoffed the last part while shaking his head.

"You wanna talk? Fine. What do you want?"

"You." He shrugged, eyes twitching in anticipation, waiting for her to say the words to let him back in.

"And, I told you. You're not getting me, and I am sick and tired of-"

"Is this about Jace?" His tone was impassive, yet inside he was a nervous wreck.

"Oh for christ's sake." She breathed out in disbelief.

"Okay, it's not." He answered quickly, but she was already frustrated.

"We can't keep on having the same conversations, I'm tired of this. I'm tired of us. I would gladly accept you as my friend, but nothing more."

His face fell, and she noticed.

"And, I'll stop sleeping with you, as you put it, but I really didn't hear you complain when you fucked me from behind."

His breath hitched, and he cursed himself for getting aroused at her choice of words.

She smirked, enjoying his torture quite a bit.

"Is something wrong?" She teased, as he tried to readjust his pants.

"Nothing." He growled, knowing that she was doing this on purpose.

"I'm sorry." He whispered, shaking his head, truly he didn't know where to begin.

He had fucked up too many times, and he knew that one could only say sorry so many times before it meant nothing anymore.

Surprisingly, she pulled him into a hug, playing with his soft brown hair.

"I don't want to hurt you, I need you to know that. My intention was never to hurt you." Her voice sounding angelic to his ears.

"Well, you're doing a pretty lousy job, Ross." Wrapping his own hands around her waist, he nuzzled his face in her neck, smelling her scent.

"Eva?" Jace interrupted their hug, his voice slightly strained.

"Hey, Jace."

"Damon needs you, something about his girlfriend having problems with-"

"Yeah, yeah. I'll be right back." She sprinted out of the room, leaving both men together.

"Romero." Tony nodded in acknowledgment.

"Stark, what are you doing here?"

"You know I'm stuck between two responses, you tell me which one sounds better, non of your business, or stay the fuck out of my business?"

"How about get the fuck out of my company?" Jace challenged, earning a laugh from Tony.

"Wrong. You have 50% ownership, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm sure Evelyn doesn't mind me being here, meaning you have no upper hand." Stark teased.

"You were her biggest mistake."

Because Jace Romero was pretty much convinced that he was.

He was convinced that Tony Stark was by all means bad for her, and he wished that she would realise that he, himself, could love her more than that bastard ever did.

"Speaking of mistakes, have you, by any chance, looked at a mirror this morning?" Stark smirked.

"Could you guys stop already?" She walked back in, arms crossed, eyebrows furrowed.

"No can do."

"No."

They both said in unison.

"Jace?"

An unfamiliar voice asked through Evelyn's office door, allowing all three of them to turn around and identify the source.

Jace had his eyes wide as saucers, Tony Stark had a look of horror and pure shock on his face, Evelyn Ross, however, had a bored expression on her face with a hint of confusion.

"Who are you?" The woman rudely stated to Evelyn, who in return raised a teasing brow.

"I'm the person who owns this office, and a matter of fact this building, so you better have a very good reason as to why you barged into my property unannounced."

Jace gulped, as he eyed her jet black hair that fell loosely over her shoulders, her brown eyes that he used to love.

The same brown eyes that stared at him with so much love before.

He gulped as he eyed the woman he used to love, the woman he gave his heart to, only to watch her break it with no remorse.

The strange woman cowered away in fear, stunning herself by how much Evelyn Ross intimidated her.

"Who is she, Jace?" Evelyn turned to her friend, and then she recognised the look on his face.

The look of hurt.

"Jane." Tony said, more like stated through the midst of his disbelief.

Oh the irony.

"How do you know her name?" Jace spun around to face his nemesis, shocked.

Tony didn't answer him, he didn't need to, because Evelyn had already made the connection, and by the look on Jace's face, Tony knew he did too.

"Jane Carson."