Jean ━ Just The Hair?

EDITED

You pat his back for the umpteenth time. Jean buries his head in his arms, groaning in annoyance. It looks like he is on the verge of crying, but he is trying his best to hold his tears back. You sigh and continue your actions in an attempt to comfort him. It's not like this hasn't happened before.

"What does Eren have that I don't?" Jean says, scowling at the thought.

"Maybe it's his determination that Mikasa seems fond of." You say.

"You're not helping." He replies.

"Sorry." You mumble.

It's not that you're against it. You're trying to encourage him, but you can never seem to find the right words to do so.

He gets up and heads to the mess hall, recovering from his sulky mood. He opens the double doors, having eyes land on him and you. He frowns slightly and makes his way to the counter to get a tray. You follow after him. You find Marco sitting at your usual table and you sit next to him.

"Jean, I don't think I should be the one telling you this but Mikasa's been staring at us." Marco whispers.

"Maybe she's finally into me." Jean smirks, and you nudge him.

Mikasa gets up from her spot. You have your back turned, but you can hear footsteps approach your direction. All the attention shifts to the girl with a red scarf around her neck, the glint of annoyance in her eyes quite hard to miss.

"(y/n)." She grits her teeth.

"Yes, Mikasa?" You ask, smile formed on your face. Instead of getting a reply, she punches your face. You were so shocked, your palms held your bruised cheek.

Alarmed, you get up and back away from the female.

"Wh-what was that for!?" Your eyes start to tear up from the pain.

However, she shows no remorse for the damage done.

"Eren was staring at you."

"And you had to punch me because?"

"Eren was staring at you."

You eye her with disbelief. You could sense the anger seething from her as you remain silent. You compose yourself and toughen up a little.

"Do I even care, Mikasa?" She slaps you this time.

Jean couldn't sit there and watch anymore. When it comes to choosing between a girl he likes or his best friend, he would choose you without a doubt. He's always protected you from people who intend on harming you, and Mikasa is obviously out of line for what she did.

"Mikasa, (y/n) didn't deserve that." Jean growls, seeing the red mark on your cheek.

"Now you're defending her just because I rejected you?" She plainly asks.

"T-that doesn't have anything to do with you!" He shouts back.

Mikasa looks bored. Two hits and she's satisfied with herself, saying nothing else as she turns on her heel and walks away. The commotion slowly subsides, but Jean is still worked up. When Marco was finally able to calm him down, he becomes more aware of his surroundings, noticing that you are out of sight.

"Where's (y/n)?" He asks, his voice hinting at a bit of worry.

"She ran away seconds after Mikasa left. I was going to stop her but she told me she needed space." Marco responds. Despite that, Jean gets on his feet and is out of the mess halls.

He knows better than to leave you by yourself. Even when you say you need space, he knows you will always let him in. He looks everywhere for you, calling out your name several times.

He finally found you, but his anger grew. You were in the arms of someone else, Eren.

He trudges over to the two figures, not even ashamed to make his presence known. At the sight of him, Eren loosens his grip around you.

"Back off, Jaeger." Jean scowls. 

Eren doesn't leave without glaring at him and apologizing to you. He would've stayed to argue, but he knows that would be the least you need right now.

Jean mutters curses under his breath as he watches Eren's retreating form, sitting beside you.

"What did Jaeger boy want with you?" He spat.

"Actually, he apologized for her behavior. What about you and that she-devil?" You roll your eyes, not wanting to say her name.

"Nothing." He says bluntly.

"Aww, poor you." You tease.

"Shut up. I like you, (y/n). Not her."

"...What?"

"N-Nothing! Darn it!" He says, covering his mouth.

You couldn't believe your ears. A slight blush dusts your cheeks, glancing at him to find the same reddish color on his. 

"I heard you."

"Fine. You caught me red-handed."

You clear your throat.

"I like your hair, Jean."

He raises a brow and looks at you, a tad confused.

"Just the hair?"

"Maybe."

"Whatever."

You turn to look at him and he stares back at you. A simple action causes the attraction you've been feeling for him to stir within you. You'd be lying if you said you've never thought of him as something more. Your gazes lock for a few seconds before you turn away.

"I guess I change my mind." You say, smiling.

"On what?"

"I like you, too. Not just the hair this time."