Marlowe ━ Nothing to Regret

EDITED

Marlowe needs more love~

(F/n) (l/n), one of the best cadets to comprise the 104th training squad. Today is graduation day. After years of training and hard work, she ties in first place with Mikasa Ackerman. With her fist over her chest, she looks ahead and feels a bit of relief wash over her from her placement.

Erwin Smith takes the stage and makes his speech. Although you possess respect for the Survey Corps, it would take a whole lot more than that to convince you into joining them. After all, your heart has been dedicated to being part of the Military Police Brigade since day one. Once his speech is over, you take a deep breath and leave the crowd.

The sad and yearning looks on your fellow cadets' faces are impossible to miss. Despite building a good rapport with them, they couldn't make you stay. Instead, you catch your pace with Annie who is leaving the crowd too.

The following day, you get a tour of the Military Police Headquarters. It's just as you expected. Royalty hidden within large walls and the people living in it unworthy of luxury, but it doesn't faze you. Not long after, you are assigned duties and responsibilities in the castle in honor of the king. As the day is coming to an end, you are sent back to your previous dorm to gather your things.

"Good luck in your endeavors, (y/n). We'll miss you." Sasha pulls you into a hug, undeniably shedding a few tears at her farewell.

"I'll miss all of you too. Take care on expeditions and see the world out there for me, okay?" You hug her back, closing your eyes.

O ══════════════════ O

"Hi, I'm Hitch!" A woman with brown, curly hair greets you and Annie. You just gave her a smile while Annie scowls.

"Let me show you to your rooms." She starts walking ahead and you follow after her. You settle into your room and flop onto the bed in exhaustion.

"By the way, what are your names?" Hitch asks, standing by the doorway.

"I apologize for being rude. My name is (y/n)." You sit up on the edge of your bed.

"Nice to meet you, (y/n). Why don't I introduce you to the others 'round here?" She asks.

Before you could even respond, you feel a tug on your wrist. Hitch pulls you out of the room and runs into the halls. You feel her release her grip from your wrist, allowing you to stop and catch your breath a little. You look up to see a tall boy with black bowl-cut hair.

"This is Marlowe. He's also kinda new." Hitch introduces, motioning to the male.

"I'm (y/n). Nice to meet you." You extend a hand out.

"Marlowe." He simply says, grabbing your hand to shake it.

O ══════════════════ O

Months later, the respect you hold for the Military Police is slowly plummeting. The little details that didn't seem to bother you before are now becoming more and more of an inconvenience. Maybe you made a mistake after all.

"I'm starting to regret being here. These people think life is all about getting drunk and slacking off on their duties." You sigh, placing your tray down on the table.

"Finally, someone who seems to make sense." Marlowe mumbles, taking the seat in front of you in the cafeteria.

You nod and take a bite of your food before looking at your only friend in the MP. He seems to be stressing about the matter as much as you are. For someone who carries the same beliefs about the MP since their trainee days, he could understand why you feel that way. In fact, if it weren't for each other, being here would be too much to bear.

"It's not too late to change my mind, right? I might consider joining the Survey Corps. I miss my friends." You admit, although not completely serious.

"You're planning on leaving me here, (y/n)? You're the only sane friend I have." He frowns.

"You know I won't, but it is tempting to leave this place." You groan.

Silence looms over you as you continue to eat your food. It is interrupted by a sudden squeak of the bench and the spot next to you being occupied. Two pairs of eyes land on the figure next to you, the female who loves to tag along with both of you - Hitch.

"How are you two doing?" She asks casually, glancing back and forth between you and Marlowe.

"What do you want?" Marlowe asks, a hint of annoyance in his voice.

You chuckle slightly at his reaction. Hitch remains quiet as she slumps down on her food too. You couldn't but think Hitch reminds you of someone - a mixture of Hanji and Sasha.

"Did you wake up on the wrong side of your bed? What's your problem?" Hitch asks, raising a brow at the grumpy male.

"You are. (Y/n) and I were in the middle of a conversation." He scoffs.

"If you say you like (y/n), I'll leave." She says.

"No problem. I like (y/n). A lot." He growls.

"Uh huh. As friends?" She asks, amused as she checks her nails.

You get nervous all of a sudden. Hitch knows about your feelings for Marlowe and you can clearly see what she's trying to do.

"No, more than that." Marlowe bluntly replies, his confession ringing in your ears.

Hitch gets up from her seat, a smirk on her face. A slight pink dusts your cheeks as you watch her leave, leaving you two alone again. Your feet act on their own as you approach Marlowe. Without thinking, you lean over his shoulder and place a kiss on his cheek.

"I like you more than a friend too, Marlowe." You smile.

Maybe you've got nothing to regret about joining the Military Police after all.