Chapter 19

The next morning we didn't really talk about the night before. I could tell it was something he didn't want to talk about yet so I kept my thoughts about it to myself.

What really bugged me was when Valentino dragged me out of bed at four in the morning so we could get to his place before lunchtime.

"I swear to god Tino if you ever do this to me again I'm never talking to you again," I groaned and I lazily pulled his sweatshirt over my head to keep me warm.

"Nah, I don't think you have it in you," he smirked, casually packing up our things.

What? You thought I was going to pack my own stuff? He was the one who woke me up, so he was the one who got to deal with the packing.

"You're lucky this is your first offense," I said glaring at him from the couch.

"Will coffee make you feel better?" he asked.

"Well duh."

"How about I buy you something from Dunk'n Donuts once were on the way," he suggested.

"But you already buy everything for me," I pointed out.

"Well then I'll let you keep that hoodie," he smirked.

"I'm gonna take this anyway."

"Whatever," he scoffed. "I guess nothing is gonna make you feel better.

"I ever said no to coffee," I corrected him.

He just shook his head and told me to follow him out of the hotel room so we could check out.

As much as I wanted to be home and tell Ammy just about everything that happened while we were in New York, I was still sad to leave the city behind, especially my new friend Chase. I highly doubted I could convince him to visit me in Michigan.

Of course there are certain things about home that made me want to hide in the hotel closet and stay forever, but unfortunately I would have to face my demons eventually.

"What's going on in that interesting mind of yours?" Sage asked as he put our things in the car.

"Just thinking about what'll happen when I go back," I shrugged.

"Bells, listen to me," he said softly, grabbing the sides of my face. "You don't ever have to go back there."

"Yes I do," I quickly pulled my face out of his grasp. "If I don't go back he's gonna call the cops on me, and claim I've been kidnapped or something."

"Then we'll call the cops too, tell them what that man has done to you," he countered.

"No you don't understand, if I tell them it'll be all over the news, then the only thing I'll ever be known for is what he's done to me."

"You can't let what he's done to you define you," he told me softly. "You can't let those low points in your life shape you, and you can't be afraid of them either."

"Thanks Tino," I nodded sincerely.

"For what?" he smirked.

"Just for knowing what to say-" at this point I had to pause my words so we could both get into the car. "I get what you're saying, but I don't think I'm ready."

"You don't have to be, all you have to do is let me know when you think you're ready."

After about four hours of sleeping in the car, I was promptly woken up by the ringing of my cellphone.

"Hello?" I asked sleepily, putting it on speaker since I was to lazy to bring it to my ear.

"Annabelle! Are you home yet?" I immediately grinned when I heard the voice of Alyssa.

"No but we will be home by noon, why?"

"So you know my super long term crush, Blake?" she asked and I could practically feel her gushing through the phone.

"Yea."

"Well he invited me to a party tomorrow and I need you to come with," she explained.

"Absolutely not," Tino butted in.

"Why not," I whined.

"I've been to Blake's parties," he explained. "It's not a place you should go."

"You're not the boss of me," I argued.

"I'm just trying to help," he shot back.

"Well if you want to help, go to the part with me, don't keep me from it."

"Whatever," he scoffed.

"Yay! So it's settled, we're all going," she squealed, before hanging up the phone.

"I hope you realize I'm just trying to keep you safe," Sage mumbled after a while.

"I know," I assured him. "I just think you could've went about it differently."

Two hours later we pulled into his driveway where his parents were waiting for us.

"You must be Annabelle," his mom grinned as she walked over to me.

I expected her to just shake my hand, so when she pulled me in for a hug instead I had to quickly pull my hand back so it wouldn't poke me.

"I'm Karren, and this is my husband Jake," she said.

I glanced over at Sage's dad and unlike his wife he just gave me a polite nod.

"Thank you for letting me stay here, It's wonderful to meet you," I grinned, not knowing what else to say.

"Oh it's no problem dear," Karren assured me.

"Are you sure? I don't want to intrude," I said.

"Oh such a sweet girl," she cooed looking over at Sage. "I like this one Sage, she's a keeper."