Pick & Choose Pt. One

Going in and out of a headspace was not ideal for serious situations.

Example: having to take the train home by yourself this time because your friend had an upset stomach.

Not ideal. Not at all.

Josh was gripping at the straps of his suspenders as if his life depended on it. The elastic, dark red colored bands were exhaling harshly with every flex of Josh's hands. He hated the train, but there was no other way back to his side of town without an expensive copay.

Mom needs me. She's sick and she needs me. It's almost time for her morning care nurse to go home, I have no time to mess with. Get yourself together Josh. But Josh didn't want to get himself together.

"Now boarding Northwest train to Southeast," an automated voice echoed throughout the station as the train Josh was meant to get on slowed to a stop, opening it's doors.

Okay, okay. I'm fine, you're fine, we're all fine. His anxiety was despicable. Josh shakes his head at himself. He wanted to be little, he wanted to escape for a while.

"You haven't found a nice boy yet, Josh?"

"No Ma, I told you. Nobody knows I'm gay,"

"Not even that friend of yours?"

"Not even him, he still tries to set me up with girls but I have to turn him down. I'll just end up crying to whoever he sets me up with and that never ends well."

"You know what your sister would say?"

"You're a mama's boy." Josh and his mother say in unison then they both laugh.

Ms. Dun was a recovering stroke victim. Her speech was perfect but her right leg was no good, her right arm about the same but she was still able to grip things and Josh was grateful for that.

"Oh, honey here," she then hands him an envelope after steadying her laughter. "This came for you in the mail, it looks fancy sweetie, look at that wax seal on the back." She peers over as Josh looks at the address. "Who else do you know on that side of town?" The zip code belonged to the side of town Josh had just came from. Truth be told, he knew no one else. He didn't particularly like the Northside.

Josh tears open the envelope then proceeds to read the papers inside. They were handwritten in lovely cursive.

Dear Joshua Dun,

It is to my knowledge that you are in contact with my neices son, Isaac Gracie. Mrs. Gracie has spoken to me that her son speaks highly of you. He takes great interest in you. She tells me you are a loyal friend, I thank you for that. Isaac isn't liked by many, bluntly put, but he's a bright young boy and he's lucky to have a friend like you.

Now, with a task and offer at hand, I must ask that you read this alone. Your mother excluded from the affair, I'm afraid.

Josh smiled at his mother before excusing himself to his bedroom.

Speaking of whom, I've been given word that your mother is not well. She's a stroke survivor, no? I take it things have not been easy since the accident. Shorthand of funds, yes? Mr. Dun, I have something to give to you. On the separate document is information to an event I am holding. A dinner. It's annual and loved by many who join.

Like you, others are struggling and I change that with every dinner I host.

Along with a lovely meal I prepare you all with a game. A contest of sorts. The winner takes home money that'll cover any and all debts, bills and will be allowed to purchase all that their hearts desire. Only thing I ask of you is that you come alone. This is a closed dinner and anyone uninvited will be sent back home immediately.

A car will pick you up if you choose to come, then take you home afterwards. I look forward to seeing you, Joshua Dun.

Sincerely,
Xavier Collins

"Josh? Honey?" His mother is knocking at his door just as he goes to look at the second page. He's still processing it all.

this is short i just wanted to get this up and have some thoughts on what u think so far. it'll take a dark turn in part two if there even is one.