The Better Man

creds to cardlin & e
song is Better Man by 5 Seconds Of Summer

Tyler was sat with his legs crossed, a hot green tea in front of him in his apartment. His headphones were in as he spoke to his friend, Dylan, on the phone. The two men were currently on the topic of Tyler's friend, Josh. They were magnificent, they were there for Tyler whenever he needed them.

"Yeah," Tyler sighs, leaning back into the booth, "I know what you're saying, but it's obvious, isn't it?"

Zach huffs, "what's obvious? That they love you back?"

"No, that they belong with that other guy." Tyler takes a tiny sip from his drink. "He's the better man. I have too much going on for them to deal with right now."

"Are you saying you don't want to be with them?"

"That's not what I'm saying, I-I don't want to let them go I just-" Tyler takes a breath," I just want them to be happy. I need them to be happy. They deserve more than I can give them,"

"They're gonna choose you, you know that right? After all you two have been through, I wouldn't be surprised. It's just bad timing that this guy decided to waltz back into Josh's life, he's bringing back old memories and feelings,"

"Yeah," Tyler laughs, shaking his head, "they're not going to choose me, man. They've known him their entire life. He's a good person, not - not like me," the front door opens, revealing Josh with a sheepish smile as they close and lock the door. "Hold on, I'll call you back." Tyler hangs up the phone before pulling his headphones out. "What are you doing here? I thought you'd be with-"

"Why would I be with him?" Josh starts to unbutton their coat.

"Well, y-you said you needed some time to think," Tyler tucks his headphones into his pocket and says with a lowered tone, "that you needed to decide who you wanted to be with."

Josh internally panics but keeps their cool, but Tyler sees right through Josh. "Look, it's okay, I know why you're here," Tyler says.

"I'm so sorry, I owe you big time,"

Tyler lightly laughs, "don't worry about it, you don't owe me anything. We're happy together," as Tyler says this, Josh's smile falters. "I know that you're not here for me because I know you, and I know me. Ever since we met you've told me how much you wanted to be with him, you've wanted this for years which is why I'm going to be cool about this. I know that recently I haven't been the best friend of you, I've lied, I've made things more... complicated than they had to be. And I'm - so sorry for hurting you. I never - I never wanted that. But I'm not going to stand in the way anymore, I won't ruin this for you. You deserve to be happy and if that's with him, then I'll just have to deal with it."

Tyler hums, scrunching his nose, "just don't, cut me out, okay?" Tyler fumbles with his hands, "I know it might be awkward after me telling you how I feel but, I promise I won't let it get in the way of anything. I wont let it... spoil anything for you. You're too important for me to lose and-" Tyler groans and turns, facing away from Josh. "Gah, I shouldn't have said anything,"

"No, Tyler that's the best thing you could've done, telling me how you feel. That's what we're all about, right? Telling each other the truth and nothing but the truth, we put an oath to that, remember? If anything you made it easier for me - to think."

Tyler turns back around, "I might not be able to be with you the way I want to be, but I can't lose you completely, not now, not after everything that's happened." Tyler bites the inside of his cheek, "I'll say... with your family and after what happened with mine I mean, we've really gone through a lot of shit this year." To that, Josh nods. "And honestly? I think I distanced myself so much because, I was ashamed,"

"What?" Josh shakes their head, confused.

"I mean, you come from such a nice family. You guys stick together when things get bad, mine doesn't even support each other when we're good. I never wanted to dump all of that stuff on you, or get you mixed up in all of it. And then not talking to you for a few days turned into a few weeks, and all of a sudden I accidentally cut you out of my life. I thought what I was doing was... best for you?"

"But weren't you the one who said you needed to protect me?"

"Yes! I do need to protect you. Look, I know you are more than capable of taking care of yourself, you've made that perfectly clear more than once but I can't just sit back and let you get yourself into bad situations. Especially when they're my situations in the first place, I'll always look out for you, even after all of... this is over. I just wish I had realized at the time that what I was doing was causing more harm than good. Then... maybe things would be different."

"But um... did you - did you mean what you said?"

"Of course I meant what I said, you've been the only thing that's mattered to me for so long now, I've never loved anybody the way I love you,"

Josh's eyes begin to water and they're scared of crying in front of Tyler, even after all of this. "Oh Ty..."

"You're the type of person I didn't think existed. You're so good and kind and beautiful, how could I not love you? You... make me want to be a better man. You make me want to try to be somebody you could be proud of, I just wish he hadn't beat me to it."

Josh shakes their, scoffing, "no he hasn't. You're wrong,"

"What?" Tyler laughs. "Of course he has, he has a good job, he gets on with his family, he always knows the best things to do when it comes to you. He can read you well, I... never could." He laughs again. "I suppose that's why I love you so much,"

"Look, Tyler," Josh steps closer towards Tyler, looking down at the floor to avoid eye contact as they say what they're about to say. "I don't... love him. I love you,"

Tyler goes silent, shocked. "You - y-you don't love him? You love me," Tyler shakes his head, "but I thought you've always wanted to be with someone safe?"

"You, Tyler, you make me feel safe. Not him."

"I make you feel safe?" Tyler was flabbergasted, appalled, maybe even a little terrified as his brain processes all of this slowly. "Do you really mean that?" Truth be told, he was close to crying.

Josh nods, blushing as Tyler pulls them into a hug seconds later.

Cliché, corny, cheesy, all of the C's pushed aside, Tyler tightly holds onto Josh. "I love you more than anything on this planet, I'll never let anything hurt you. Myself included, I'll be good for you, I won't let you down, I will become a better man for you. I promise,"

Josh is giggling as Tyler places both hands onto their cheeks, "now kiss me before you change your mind."