37.

"It says on this pamphlet that the average fees for one year without financial aid is around thirty-five thousand dollars if you live on campus, and that's for residents!", Meg complains while we walk out one of the many residence halls we have visited today.

"So then we apply for every financial aid we can, we save up every ounce of money we have, and get an apartment together instead of living on campus," I explain calmly. "Now where to next? I would really like to check out the film production room."

She unfolded the pamphlet the rest of the way to reveal the map. "I didn't even think about paying for nonresident tuition. Why does that even have to be a thing? And wouldn't the apartment be more expensive in the long run?"

"Why does college have to be so expensive in the first place?" I laugh. "Are we even allowed to get this much in student loans?"

"Maybe its a good thing Scotty and Gabbie decided not to come with us. Gabbie would be flipping her shit right now just looking at all these numbers."

"There it is!" I point to the classroom on the map and see that we aren't too far. "Let's go!"

"I'm starting to wonder if a gap year would be better or worse on me," Meg continues to ramble as we make our way to our location. "I could save up money, live in Cali while doing it so by the time I go to school I will be considered instate tuition and not non-resident, but at the same time I'm scared once I stop going to school I won't want to come back."

"Yeah, but I'll be here. Isn't that enough reason to come here?" I jokingly push her shoulder with my free hand, careful not to drop the contents of my other. I forgot my bag at home, which means I have to carry everything I need.

"Have you already turned in your application? Is it too late to kidnap you and make you take a gap year with me?"

"I have," I nod, "and I also have considered taking a gap year. I don't know if it's for me, though. I mean, look around," I motion my hands to our surroundings as I continue, "this has been my dream for years."

"Aren't you scared it won't work out?" Meg sounded slightly distressed as she spoke. "You've created this image in your head of what this school might be. You've done hours of research. Hell, I don't even know why we are even here because you're so certain this school is the one for you. But what if it turns out differently? What if it's not what you're expecting?"

"We are here because despite my hours of research, I still haven't physically been here. It feels right. I just have a really good gut feeling about this place. I know it's good for me. If you're having doubts, and you don't think it's for you, don't move here just because of me. Don't let one person affect the rest of your life."

"And Scotty?" She hesitated before asking the question, causing me to raise my eyebrow.

"What about Scotty?" I ask confused.

"What happens to you two when you start coming here to chase your dreams? You're not going to let him hold you back, are you?"

"Of course not," I try to assure her. The truth is, I haven't given much thought about what UCLA brings for me and Scotty. The future has always been something that terrifies me, and the one thing I've ever been sure of is this school. At the same time, Scotty has brought out a side of me that makes me feel better about myself.

"I think this is the building," She claimed after a few minutes of silent walking. We both look at each other as if asking for approval and enter the building after a shrug.

"The major here for film production isn't quite called that. It's actually referred to as 'theater film and television'. My emphases would be Film, TV, and digital media," I change the subject away from Scotty as we roam the halls. "Film production is a class, though."