38.

this isn't edited

"So when are you going to introduce me to your friends?" Caleb asked after taking a sip from his tea. He is currently sitting on the stool in front of the bar at Bee's Tea's. I didn't plan on coming into work after the events that happened yesterday, but I knew I had to. I just started this job, I didn't want to lose it already. Caleb insisted on coming in to talk to me, claiming that he just wanted to hangout, but I'm sure he's really just trying to find out what happened the day before.

"I've known you for one day, and I'm not quite sure you're somebody they'd consider hanging out with. Was Meg not enough?" I joke while pouring myself a cup of raspberry tea. The store was quite empty today, and Charlie told me it was no big deal if I enjoyed a cup or two of tea for myself, as long as I never gave it away to anyone.

"Why?" He offendedly squints his eyes at me. I didn't think he would take the statement as bad as he did. It made me feel slightly guilty.

"No," I sigh, "they're just-" I pause. How do I go about describing my law-breaking friends to a gucci wearing film student? I can't easily trust him with everything when I've only met him yesterday. "They don't accept new friends so easily."

This wasn't a lie. When David invited me to lunch the first day they were all quick to jump to conclusions.

"So they're going to judge me?" He questions with less defense. "Why? Because I have money? Because I'm older?"

"No, not at all!" That, was probably a lie. But I wouldn't admit it. "They're just used to having things the way they are. It took them ages to warm up to me. I'm the newest member of the group, I can't just go on and invite somebody else."

"Didn't they accept Meg?" Okay, he got me there.

"Yeah, but we are more of a packaged deal?" It sounded much more like a question than an actual statement, but he nods his head anyway.

"Yeah, I guess that's true. But you're not going to hold out on me forever, okay? You and Meg can't escape my friendship, meaning I'm going to run into them someday!"

"I'll figure it out when the moment comes," I tease again before checking my phone out of habit. There's still a part of me that feels guilty about yesterday. I was gone when they needed me, and it could have been prevented if I didn't go to UCLA.

"Waiting on an important text?" He asks. I quickly lock my phone and put it in my back pocket.

"No, nothing important."

"Does it have to do with what happened yesterday? You seemed pretty frantic all the way to that sketchy building. I can tell you're lying, you know."

"The building isn't that sketchy," I ignore the fact that the roof is slowly caving in, and the outside has mold and graffiti.

"You're ignoring my question," He points out while passing me his empty cup. I grab it and walk over to place it in the bin labeled "dirty".

"It's nothing serious. My b-," I catch myself, "my friend just got into a fight." I decide that's all I need to tell him about the situation.

"Uh huh, your "friend"," he puts air quotes up in the air as he says the word. "What's his name?"

"Who's to say my friend is a boy?" I question with a raised eyebrow.

"I can tell by the way you're worried that it's somebody you have a crush on."

"I could be into girls, you know."

"Yes, that's true," he nods, "but you almost said "boy" friend. Therefore, you're straight. Or at least, partially. I'm not one to judge." He shrugs.