39.

It's been a rough week. Between filling out applications for scholarships at UCLA, and working while keeping up with my homework, I haven't seen much of everyone lately. Caleb continues to hangout with me while I work, and I see Scotty and everyone else at lunch or in class, but every other ounce of free time has been dedicated to UCLA. It's currently March, and a crucial time for scholarships. Graduation is only months away, and my mind is a mess of emotions.

"Why should you receive this application?" I read aloud, squinting at the small light coming from my laptop in the dark room. "I don't know, cause I'm broke?" What else do they expect from me? I'm a teenage girl just as average as everyone else.

I let out a loud groan and slam my forehead against the desk. "It's hopeless," I mumble to myself. I've been filling these applications out for days now, and we still don't know if I even got accepted. Of course, I applied to other schools in the area as well, but none of them even matter when the whole purpose of me moving here was to go to UCLA.

"Working hard or hardly working?" The familiar voice sent a feeling of ease through my body as I turn to look at who it's coming from.

"I guess you could say a little bit of both," I say while reaching out at him for a hug. He gave me his world famous smirk before walking up and kissing my forehead. I wrap my arms around his torso and squeeze tightly. It feels nice to see him after the week that I've had.

"I have an idea," Scotty says softly, running his fingers through my (greasy) hair. I keep my arms around him but angle my head to look up at his face to show that I'm listening. "Why don't we go to our hideout and have a movie night?"

"My laptop is almost dead and so is my portable charger," I frown. A movie night would be nice and relaxing, but perfecting these scholarship applications are essential.

"Dom stole a projector from the science hall, and a generator from-" he paused to look up, eyes squinting while he thought deeply, "well we don't really know where he got that. But, the point is, we have it. You would know all this if you didn't ditch us today today for your applications." His voice was playful, yet still held a little depth. I knew he was upset at me for being so stressed over school.

"Okay," he smiles, "okay fine! But only for tonight! You know how important it is for me to get into this school!" I giggle as he picks me up and begins to carry me. It hurt my stomach slightly, but the playful manner is just what I need.

"Where are you going?" Sarah asks as we pass her in the living room. "You know what? It doesn't even matter. Just - don't get pregnant."

-

"Nineteen!... eighteen!...seventeen!"

I feel my feet hit the ground hard as I sprint down the staircase of the old art building. What was supposed to be a movie date somehow turned into a game hide-and-seek, but neither one of us were complaining. So far we are tied 2-2, this being match point. I should probably be more concerned about being quieter, but I'm having too much fun to care if I give away my location or not.

"Sixteen!..fifteen!...fourteen!"

I look around frantically for a spot that none of us have hidden at, yet.

"thirteen!...twelve!...eleven!..."

The theater was done a few rounds ago- maybe I could do that again?

"ten!...nine!...eight!"

There's no time to run and hide, which leaves the band room. I'm sure I could fit in an old tuba case or something.

"seven...six!...five!"

I run into the overly sized, squeaky door and book it towards the first tuba case I see.