40.

Authors Note: I am way too tired to edit this so I'm sorry for any typos or confusing sentences. 

Also sorry for the late update. This summer has been a wild ride for me. Hopefully I can continue to update, especially since I know the rest of the course for the plot. Love yall please let me know what you think x

Gabbie and I walk hand in hand into the band room, knives in our pockets just in case. Not that I have ever actually used one, and have no intention of doing so.

We look inside all the other cases, but the only one that seems to have anything is the giant tuba case.

"It's conveniently sitting next to the door," Gabbie points out, "That means somebody is going to come for it."

"So what do we do?" I ask, leaning against the wall by the trumpet cases. "Sit and wait?"

"Yeah," she shrugs. "It's dangerous, but are we really going to figure anything out if we don't."

"I agree." The risks are high-  two small teenage girls waiting right where they want us. Not to give in to the idea that all drug dealers are bad people, but it's always better to be cautious.

"Should we hide, though?" She asks while examining the room with her eyes.

"Maybe we could sit upstairs?" She gives me a funny look before I finish explaining. "I mean, we hang out where we always know. Maybe they've looked up there and seen our stuff. So if we come down, or even just peek around the corner, it's not sketchy."

"Okay, yeah," she nods. "Setting the scene, I like it!"

"I try my best."

-

"You know, you could really be practicing your journalism right now. This would be a great investigative story." Gabbie pops another chip in her mouth as she crosses her legs against the bean bag.

"Maybe. I'm not sure if it's safe, though. I wouldn't want gangs after me," I tease.

"You know Scotty would come to your rescue if anyone ever touched you." I couldn't help but blush, even if I rolled my eyes. "I'm serious!" She laughs.

"I know," I let out a giggle myself. "How long have we been here?" She grabs her phone to check the time, eyes wide with alarm.

"Fuck, it's twelve-fifteen. I'm late for curfew!" She hops up, the bag of chips falling off of her lap as she does so. "I have to go!"

"I think I'll stay here to see if anything happens."

"Avery you are not staying here by yourself, that's ridiculous! Come with me." 

Gabbie's thoughts are rational, unlike my own. I'm a nosey person, which must be why I love journalism so much. There is some part of me that wants to stay and find out who is involved, who would take part in such an act. But then there is the part of me that knows better. That knows it's much safer to listen to Gabbs. 

"I have an idea," I tell her while gathering up my stuff.

"Is it safer than you staying here all night by yourself?" She questions with a raised eyebrow. 

"I hope so. First, call David to come and give us a ride. He'll do it if we just tell him we are scared. Second... follow me."

-

"You did what?"  Meg asks as she follows me up the stairs, headed straight towards the band room.