Rule #5: Smile Brightly

Today is the day of the ball and like every time there's a ball, my classes for the day were cancelled as I was forced to get a spa treatment, get a visit from the royal hairdresser, and then try on a dozen dresses. I almost forgot, I also have to try on shoes, jewellery and get last minute dance lessons.

You would think as a princess I would be used to dancing and I'm good at it but I'm not actually a stellar dancer. Every time there's an event that involves dancing, I will need emergency lessons to ensure I don't make a fool of myself.

"Now remember, shoulders back, tummy in, keep your chin up and smile." My etiquette teacher reminded me. Posture is everything at these events. You'll be standing for hours on end and slouching is a huge no no. A princess has to appear perfect no matter the circumstances.

There was a sudden pressure on my head and I immediately straightened my back and kept my chin up. Catherine, my etiquette teacher had placed a small stack of books on my head.

"Stand up." She instructed. I did so elegantly just like she wanted.

"Walk around."

I complied, walking from one end of my room to the other. Not a book was out of place when I stood in front of her again. A satisfied smile graced her face.

"Perfect." She removed the stack of books and I heaved out a sigh of relief. After more than a decade of etiquette classes, if I couldn't balance a stack of books on my head, I think Catherine will grow insane.

"There's still a few hours before you have to start getting ready. Get some rest. I know you've been up since the break of dawn." Catherine said. I smiled at her.

"Thanks, Cath."

"If you get through the ball without a hitch then thank me. Now go take a nap." She ushered me to my bed. Then she left my room and shut the door behind her quietly.

I collapsed on my bed and stared up at the high ceiling. I let my mind wander until sleep finally consumed me.

+++

"Your royal highness, it's time to start getting ready." A voice drifted into my ears. I frowned before forcing myself to open my eyes. It was one of the maids, Lila. She had a small smile on her face. I sat up from the bed and gave a small yawn.

"Right. I'll just shower first then you and the other girls can do whatever you want."

"Would you like me to draw you a bath?"

"No. I'll probably fall asleep in the tub. I'll just shower." I shook my head at her offer.

"Very well, Princess."

I got out of bed and started my pre-ball routine.

----

"Here are your shoes, your royal highness. Shall I help you put them on?"

"No. I can handle it." I turned down the offer. My arms are perfectly intact and I am capable of using them. I slipped on the beige peep toe pumps.

My dress was light pink and sleeveless with flower embroidery. It was simple with a slight high low skirt. That's how I preferred it, simple but elegant. My blonde hair was turned into soft curls and was left flowing down my back with just a simple gold clip holding back a few strands to not let it cover my face. My make up was as light as possible. I never liked caking my face.

"You look beautiful, Princess." Lila complimented me genuinely. "Thanks to you all. I don't think I'll be able to look this great if I was the one doing all this myself. I would've probably burnt my own hair with the curling iron." I laughed. The girls chuckled. I rarely dressed up, I only ever do so for events.