Rule #27: Never Sway

Julian and I threw ourselves into preparing for the day we have to confront our parents. We drew up a confidentiality contract and another contract that states our influential relatives support our motion. With their signatures, we would be able to convince our parents to pass the people's council suggestion because if we open up the matter to the public along with the contract, things will get even messier.

Odivalon's political power may be in the hands of my father but when a majority of influential members in the family vote for something to be done, it is usually done. Although this scenario hasn't happened in a while, it is definitely not the first time a ruler has to agree to a given suggestion due to majority of the family wanting it to be.

"Alastair asked if he and the others will need to be present on the day?" Julian waltz into my room and asked. I was reading a book by the window at the time. I looked up and replied. "If they want to. I have no objections."

"Henry has also informed me that mother and father are having a private conference between the two of them on Friday." Julian said.

"That's about four days from now."

"You are correct." He nodded.

"They have all signed the contract right?" I asked for confirmation.

"They have. Uncle Albert also said to go to him if we need any more help." Julian informed me.

"That's nice of him." I commented.

"Well anyone can be nice if you promise them something they want in return." Julian shrugged.

"What does he want?" I asked calmly. Julian answered. "He hopes that Herman will have a more... conspicuous role in the family." I raised an eyebrow. "He does know that suggesting that to us is rather dumb right?"

"But we owe him for this." Julian replied simply.

"How about we tell him we'll invite Herman to more events after this, we'll ensure his exposure but other than that, it's up to him. Do you think that's okay?" I asked.

"Fine. I think Uncle Albert will be very pleased with that." Julian said.

I shook my head to myself. This is what happens when a royal family has power. Every other member wants a share of that power no matter how small it may be. Uncle Albert isn't a bad man, he's nice but I know he wants to secure his family's position in the hierarchy. I don't blame him though, in a family like ours, without power you are basically nothing.

"Do you think the others would want anything too?" I asked absent-mindedly.

"They'll have to make their demands to mother and father as there's only so much the two of us can do when the reigns are still in our parents' hands." Julian said.

True. I stared out the window and thought to myself. We may be the most powerful people in the kingdom after mother and father but our power is still limited as we are still young and inexperienced. Our influence is only till a certain degree, in comparison, sometimes the lesser dukes and duchesses may be able to sway the people's decisions more than we do. Their time serving this kingdom is longer so it's no surprise at that.

"Let's get this done with once and for all." I said to my brother.

"Agreed."

+++

"Our dear cousins are here. Henry has them waiting in the tea room." Julian told me as he waited for me get ready. I was pulling my hair back into a ponytail. I was dressed in a simple blouse and jeans.