Handwriting

It took a couple of weeks for tenth division third seat to convince Toshiro to go and visit his grandmother. The boy had been completely nervous, not to mention apprehensive of what his grandmother would think. Rangiku also knew that the boy probably didn't want to be seen by those in the area, thus they went early in the morning, planning on leaving in the evening.

Of course, Toshiro hauled all the division paperwork with them, much to Rangiku's annoyance, and to Isshin-san's complete amusement. The man commented that he might have to order him to take a vacation, to which Toshiro gave the man a confused look. When the two of them arrived, Matsumoto found that she absolutely adored the old lady, as the woman had the warmest heart she had ever imagined.

She also smirked when she saw the small boy actually smile as the woman greeted him, wrapping him in a hug, almost as if the old granny was the one person whose touch he actually felt comfortable with allowing. She also saw his eyes lose the hardness and coldness that he put on to show everyone else. The woman gave Rangiku a small bow. "Thank you for taking care of my grandchild."

"Oh… no need to thank me," Rangiku smiled back at her. "I didn't do anything really."

"Perhaps… but Hinamori has told me that Toshiro is rather attached to you and feels he owes you something. I take it that you are the one who convinced him to go to the academy?" the old woman smiled, holding onto her grandson, whose cheeks suddenly flushed slightly from embarrassment.

"Well… all I told him was there was a voice that was calling him," Rangiku smiled.

"I know from what my grandson told me the day that he left that you did so much more… even I owe you my thanks. Hinamori also, though she really doesn't know, as Toshiro has made it clear this is one of the things he doesn't want to tell her about," the grandmotherly woman smiled. "Not that I can blame him. Let me fix you some tea."

The old woman then hurried off, while Matsumoto put a finger on her chin. "I was sure she would comment on your haircut and the lieutenant's badge."

"She wouldn't because that is bad manners… and isn't it bad manners for me to bring it up," Toshiro suddenly asked.

"Don't get how it is," Matsumoto muttered, as she watched the old woman bring back a tray for a tea ceremony. She carefully ground the tea, then mixed it.

"So who is your taicho, little one?" the old woman finally got around to asking as she handed each one a cup of tea.

"Isshin-san…" Toshiro muttered, blowing on his cup of tea.

"Is he the man who came by when you were depressed after achieving shikai?" the woman suddenly asked.

"Yes…" Toshiro muttered, then glanced at his cup.

"I didn't know you were depressed," Matsumoto suddenly got surprised.

"I would rather not talk about it Matsumoto," the small boy muttered.

"So, what have you done lately?" the old woman smiled, only to have Toshiro clam completely up, biting his lip. The old woman shook her head, then turned to Matsumoto. "Would you dear, enlighten me. My grandson tends not to be very talkative about certain things."

"He got a haircut, drives taicho nuts and is second rank," the woman smiled.

"I see… that is good to know," the woman smiled.

"Didn't Hinamori tell you on one of her visits?" Toshiro suddenly frowned.

"Yes… but I like hearing from you too. Though I do understand why you don't come by. I could send care packets to you in tenth division," the woman smiled.