Meeting the Shibas

One evening, after Toshiro had finished his work, he found himself grabbed by Isshin and being asked what to him was a very strange question. "Do you have any normal kimonos for wear outside of work?"

"Why the hell are you acting like Matsumoto?" came the white haired boy's reply as the man grabbed him into a hug.

"Papa and Shiro-chan got invited over for dinner at the Shiba family place," the man beamed, only to find the small child wiggling free of his grasp and suddenly launching a knee into the man's groin. "Papa wishes Shiro-chan wouldn't do that!"

Toshiro practically ignored the fact that the man was letting out groans of pain. "Shiro-chan wishes for taicho to stop being a complete baka. I don't have a father, I don't have a mother."

The small second then tried to storm away from the man, only to have the man grab his shoulder. "I was serious about asking you if you had anything other then your uniform to wear."

"Kaien-san and Miyako-san won't care," the small boy gained a confused look on his face.

"But his siblings Kukaku and Ganju will," the man stated, as he stood up from the spot where he was sent kneeling. Two teal eyes blinked at him in confusion, waiting for him to elaborate. "Even though Kaien is a shingami, as is his wife, his younger sister and his younger brother have a rather… it isn't a dislike or distrust, but they don't understand why Kaien became one."

"So that's why you were asking stupid questions?" the small boy folded his arms, then glanced away.

"Toshiro… do you have anything?" Isshin suddenly asked.

"Can't Matsumoto go instead?" the small boy asked.

"Matsumoto and Kukaku like to get into drinking matches, so no," the man sighed, then began to drag the small sub-taicho off to his room. "This is important, so stop trying to change the subject."

When they got to Toshiro's room, to his major ire, the man began to dig through the few pieces of clothing he had, then tossed a blue kimono at the small boy. "Wear this."

Toshiro glanced down at it as the man left the room, his eyebrow twitching. "This is so not fair…"

M

Toshiro found himself sticking close to Isshin's side as they headed towards the Shiba household. He was surprised to find that the Shiba household was located outside in the Rukongai, which led to his utter confusion. He at first thought that this would mean that he would have to pass through the populated place, where someone would recognize him, however, instead, they traveled on the outskirts, in one of the less populated areas.

"The Shiba house hold has always been known for its making of fireworks," Isshin suddenly spoke up. "Because of… possible explosions, they choose to live both outside and inside the city walls. The house we are going to is outside," Isshin stated as they walked to their destination.

Someone walking on the path into the town suddenly stopped them. "Mister… should a child be carrying a sword like that?"

"Ehh…" Isshin glanced down at Toshiro, who was becoming livid with anger. "I think that is my business and none of yours whether my son carries a sword? I think that if I carry and practice using a sword, it is logical that my son would to."

Toshiro's eyebrow was twitching with anger as the man continued. "No offence sir… but did your wife have an affair? The child looks nothing like you?"

"I am unmarried and still a bachelor, thank you very much. It is also my decision about whether or not to take in a child that is not mine by blood or not. Now please, we shall be on our way," Isshin's spiritual pressure suddenly peeked, sending the man of scurrying.