Talk With Yamamoto

Toshiro's constant attempts at trying to achieve Bankai were not going unnoticed, as he had ended up in the fourth division quite a few times. This wasn't hindering his job, but a few actually felt that something was wrong about the small fukutaicho. Isshin found himself slightly cornered after six or so months by the other captains at one of their later meetings.

"What is this I hear about your fukutaicho passing out constantly and ending up in the fourth division barracks?" Byakuya suddenly asked, his eyes narrowed at the man. "You should be better able to take care of your subordinates."

"I've heard about this too," Soifon spoke up. "This concerns me because I've found him to have quite a bit of spunk, and to be very passionate about his training. It wouldn't surprise me to no end if he has been overdoing it."

"I wouldn't say that he has been overdoing it," Unohana smiled. "He's been in my care every time that he has ended up in their, mostly from reiatsu fatigue, but a few times from drops in his body temperature."

"You are not at all concerned?" the eighth division captain tipped his hat in worry, glancing at Isshin. "What surprises me most is that you are not at all worried about him, which means that you very well know what he is up too, don't you Isshin-san taicho?"

"Well…" Isshin folded his arms. "I have to say, yes, I do. But I have to also say that I have full faith in him, that he is not up to something illegal, and that this is really something I should speak to Yamamoto about… I have my reasons."

"Please tell me we don't have another precursor to Mayuri," Soifon muttered, narrowing her eyes at them.

"Captain's meeting is dismissed," Yamamoto stated. "I wish to speak with Isshin-san taicho immediately."

The two men then watched as the captain's left, then Isshin turned to the old general. "So, the first thing I need to know is, how much you already know so I know where to start."

"Same as always, aren't you?" Yamamoto smirked. "From what Unohana tells me, we have both assumed that Hitsugaya Toshiro has achieved Bankai? Why not be upfront about it?"

"If say, a captain's position were to come forward, who would then be the first candidate to become the next captain? It isn't that I don't want Shiro-chan to go far, but… that child doesn't know how to be a child, and if he is thrust to early into the captaincy, then he is more likely never to learn… I am doing quite well with him. However…"

"There is something else worrying you?" Yamamoto frowned at this.

"I have the feeling that I have stumbled onto… some things, and that person might try to get rid of me, to put me out of the picture. I believe they have done it before," Isshin slowly commented. "I know the subject is supposed to be closed, but I get the suspicion that they were behind us losing so many captains so long ago."

"How much do you know about that incident," came the question.

"I only know so much, but I can take a gander from what I've heard," Isshin stated. "But anyways, should anything happen to me, I wish for Hitsugaya to become captain after me."

"You just said you didn't want to thrust him into that position," Yamamoto stated.

"I don't… but… I know him to well, and I know he was talking to Shiba before he died, in fact, that was who he first started working with on achieving his Bankai," Isshin stated.

"Shiba would have been trying to achieve it in case anything happened to Ukitake, as he would feel it was his duty. I assume that you say the same applies to Hitsugaya Fukutaicho?"

"Hai… that, and he'll be desperate to keep the division the way that it is. He may be a child, but he isn't blind to the fact that with new officers comes a change in the way the division is structured. The higher up, the harder it is. He felt that hard when Tomo Atsuo passed on," Isshin stated firmly.