Death of a Shiba (Part 3)

Shiba Kukaku was much heavier then Toshiro had ever carried before. This was also the first the first time he had ever used his reiatsu in such a manner. The manner was one that they didn't teach in the academy and was something he had heard about and read about only.

By the time he had somehow managed to reach the Rukongai, his muscles ached and his body had broken out into a cold sweat. His breath also came to him quite ragged and he found himself collapsing to his knees. "Damn it… damn it… damn it…"

He suddenly found Kukaku being lifted up off of his shoulder, completely catching him off guard. A familiar voice came to his ears. "You're using your reiatsu wrong… we'll have to work on that later, won't we?"

"Taicho…" the white haired boy chocked out, his voice strained. He then found himself scooped up and hoisted onto the man's shoulder.

"So which Rukongai doctor were you taking her too?" Isshin suddenly asked.

"What…" came the weary reply. "All of the doctors I know of refused to treat me, so granny always took care of everything."

"Toshiro… this injury is very serious… did you really think that your grandmother could have done something?"

"I never said the doctors refused to help granny and bed wetter Momo, just me… granny and I always told Hinamori it was because I was a problem child, or we couldn't afford the doctor at the time being," the small boy felt Isshin's grip suddenly tighten on him.

"Prejudicial bastards," the tenth division taicho muttered.

"Taicho… I never was bothered by that, so don't worry about it," the small boy stated.

"The only reason it doesn't bother you is because you pretend these things never happen. I can't pretend like you, and I defiantly can't turn a blind eye like Hinamori does," the man muttered. "She acts like the world is a wonderful place and nothing can go wrong, and when something does… I'm sorry… I shouldn't talk about her like this, but one of these days Toshiro, she's going to get really hurt by that naivety of hers."

At this, Isshin arrived at the small house, carefully sliding the door open. Toshiro opened his mouth and called out. "Granny…"

"Toshiro! You're able to… visit," the small old lady, upon seeing Kukaku, was rather taken aback.

"Apologies… but we needed to bring her somewhere," Isshin gave her a weak smile. "Would you please boil some water?"

"Understood completely," the old woman muttered. "Toshiro… you seem exhausted, lay down for awhile."

"I'm going to help taicho,' the small boy muttered, sliding off Isshin's back. "I'll get the water from outside."

"I'm not sure I like him seeing this," his grandmother stated.

"Except I'm going to need his hand," the tenth division taicho sighed. "While I did train in fourth division for surgery, my hands have always been on the big side."

Toshiro's granny frowned, but folded her arms across her chest. "Even though I understand, that doesn't mean I have to like it."

Toshiro hurried back in, the old woman took the water from him and set it to boil. She watched as the older man explained thoroughly what the white hared boy needed to do for him. While the boy remained calm, there was a tinge of green to his cheeks, and his eyes were dropping from his tiredness.

After a couple of hours, the two finished. The young boy's head was sagging. The man took one of the few clean cloths and cleaned off his hands, then proceeded to clean of Toshiro's hand and face, the lieutenant's movements having become robotic. The man then tilted the boys chin up and looked into his glazed eyes, rubbing the top of the boy's head as he did so.