Chapter 1 - how we met

Vera's POV

a room filled with smoke and drunken men, soldiers to be specific.

a typical day i guess, after singing my round i head backstage and was greeted by the manager to entertain people in the tunnels where i worked, he was always an old skeez "next time drape that lovely chest of yours" his bush on his upper lip covered his disgusting smile, i'd rather quit, as my mother said "a women singing in dark alleys filled with morals men and living alone is a slow and sad death" such a cynical but god bless her soul.

i got dressed into my outwear and head down through the tunnels, someone calls out to me from behind "excuses me miss!" i get greeted by the most stunning man i've seen his face looked as if it was carved by god himself, his silk black hair combed to the back perfectly placed and the most breathtaking  icy blue eyes i've ever seen with a cigar in his mouth, i've always see him in the crowd while sang leaning on the wall as he stares.

"you dropped your handkerchief" his deep voice made my lips curl for a smile "i don't have a handkerchief" i scoff playing hard to get.

"well  do you want to go out and buy one and perhaps go for a dance" he smiles glaring into my eyes while his pupil dilate "wow, very smooth mister.." trying to catch his name

"Thomas, Thomas Shelby" he smirks "oh ok well mister Shelby i'm flattered but i'm not like other women that swoon at th-" he cuts me off and takes my hand

"you aren't like the other women because you didn't ask me first" he smiles making me wrap my arm in his walking together.

a few days late

we got to know each other, we walk and talk while he does his daily night search during the blitz. we walk down the cold streets "so are you going to be in war huh softy" i tease him, he takes out a cigar lighting it "well yes. i am a the captian after all" i grab onto his jacket 

"don't die then." i hummed in a low voice, i could feel his heart beat to my hand through his thick clothing.

" i hummed in a low voice, i could feel his heart beat to my hand through his thick clothing