Chapter 2

Karlme hurried them to the dark side of a building and breathed out. He released her hand and slumped down the wall. She copied him and watched him bury his head into his perched up knees. He breathed deeply and slowly to try to stop his heart from pounding at his ribcage anymore.

                “What was that guy talking about back there?” She asked him. He didn’t answer her. “Karlme?” Her voice changed to a soft tone. He shivered. “Are you okay?”

                He took his head out from between his knees and leaned it up against the wall with his eyes closed. The stomping of feet from the street made him hold his breath. He was going to be in so much trouble when people start to find out he brought a human into their world; their village.

                “Did I do something wrong?”

                He opened his eyes and turned his head to a concerned Kelsy. “Nos. I did.”

                “About what?”

                “With bringing you here. If anyone finds out that you are nots one of us they will—“ He stopped and caught her gaze. “They will most likely kill you.”

                “Why? What did I do?” She went on frantically.

                He shook his head. “You did nots do nothing.”

                “Then why would they kill me?” She yelled at him.

                He looked at the street still hearing the stomping of feet and back at her. “Quiet, please,” he pleaded. If anyone were to find them they would be brought down too quickly.

She pushed herself to her feet. “No way in hell!” She yelled.

                “What’s going on in there?” Someone called from the street.

                Karlme stood up and grabbed her hand. He practically dragged her towards the woman that called into the alley.

                “Sorry,” Karlme muttered.

                “What?” Kelsy ran behind him confused. She looked at him uneasily. What was he doing?

                He gripped her hand and widened his eyes. They started to turn a dark orange as he felt his body drain itself of heat. He tried hard to pass the coldness through himself and into Kelsy to turn her invisible with him, but he’s never done it to another person before.

                “Come on,” he grumbled breathlessly.

                He looked at Kelsy and was thrilled when he saw Kelsy invisible. All, but her left hand though.

                “So close,” he muttered. “Kelsy put your left hand in your pocket,” he rushed.

                She did as she was told. Now she was fully invisible.

                Karlme maneuvered them around the woman and through the crowd of people in the street. He rushed her down streets, around corners and across roads. The wind blew quietly passed the two of them. The sun beat down on them. Sweat ran down Karlme’s forehead as he hurried to his house.

                They reached his house, finally. He threw the front door open, then slammed it behind Kelsy. He raced Kelsy up the stairs, down a hallway, to the right and through a door that led to a wooden latter. He released Kelsy’s hand before climbing the latter and unlatching the ceiling door. He pushed it up and went up into the room. He fell to the floor and groaned. He turned his head to the opened door and watched Kelsy pop her head through the door.