Chapter 17

Tesha saw a smashed up wall and ran to it. The two psychics following her trailed behind her quickly. She stood on the debris, squinting her eyes. In the middle of the dark room was the silhouette of two figures; one bent over the other that was lying on the concrete ground. She walked closer, watching the bent over silhouette move its head, probably in the direction of her. She got right in front of the silhouette, only to see Kelsy shaking soundlessly over a limp figure. Her mouth was slightly afar with glass eyes.

                They just stood beside Sel’s limp body just staring at him. Kelsy explained everything to Tesha after the shock of Sel’s death slowly started to fade away. The two psychics that Tesha brought with her stood on the opposite side of Sel to give their condolences. They all silently bowed their heads. Kelsy fingered the orbed pendant dangling from her. If I wouldn’t have been in the woods that day then he would still be alive, she thought grimly.

                She squatted beside him and pecked his lips. She bit her lip, standing up slowly. Even though she had only known him for less than a day, it killed her to know that she caused this. She turned to Tesha and asked softly, “should we take his body with us?”

                Tesha looked at Kelsy’s pained face. Kelsy had become her non-official daughter over such a short amount of time. Tesha frowned and shook her head. “I’m sorry, sweetie, but it would only slow us down.”

                The other two psychics lifted up their heads silently. They folded their hands in front of them and mouthed words she couldn’t catch. If only she could read lips.

                “But we have to!” She protested loudly.

                “Kelsy, sweetie, please calm down.” Tesha tried to sooth, but Kelsy was too much in her stubborn state to listen.

                “He’s helped keep me alive. The least we could do is bring his body to his parents so they could bury him and put their minds at ease.” She looked down and muttered trying to hold back the tears, “Besides, it is my fault that he’s dead.”

                “Now, wait a minute.” Tesha lifted up her chin and wiped the stray tear that fell. “It is nots your fault that he—“

                “Well, if I wasn’t running in the woods and that dumb, stupid—“

                “Don’ts start insulting Karlme. Okay?” Kelsy fell silent. “He saved you and is trying to do, yet again, the same thing. So how could you just look me in the eye and start insulting my son?” Tesha folded her arms.

                Kelsy stared aimlessly at Tesha. “I didn’t mean too, I’m just hungry and tired and watched Sel slip away right in front of me. And the worst part is that he kept on protecting me and being so sweet and—“ she laughed humorlessly “—he even gave me his necklace. His magical necklace. ”

                Tesha unfolded her arms. She looked to the two psychics opposite her. She looked wary. She looked at the pendant hanging from Kelsy’s neck. “He gave you that?”

                “Yeah, why?” Tesha just kept staring at the necklace, no saying a word or even making a sound. “Tesha, what’s wrong?”

                “Magical?” Tesha looked even more wary then before.

                Kelsy looked over at the other two psychics who too held the same wariness as Tesha. She looked back at Tesha. “I know what it could do; I just don’t know how it works.” She watched Tesha’s eyes bug out.