Chapter 4

Large men rushed into the house and surrounded the four of them around the glass, circular table in between the red-colored loveseats. Karlme stood up with Kelsy slightly in front of him. He let go of both of her hands in exchange for her left hand.

                “Karlme,” Kelsy whispered taking a step back and knocking into his chest.

                “Shhh.” Karlme looked to at least eight men surrounding them. Karlme felt Kelsy squeezing his hand tightly and he returned it. What is going on?

                The men made an opening so one man could come in. He was tall, but not large. His hair was extremely short and white, but he didn’t look old. His eyes were sinister light brown.  He wore a black suit with a sword clasped loosely around his waist. His face was serious. “We got news from a few of the guards at the front gate that an unknown girl came in with your son, Ret.” The man looked at Kelsy and then at Ret. “Would you like to introduce me to your visitor Ret?”

                “There’s nos need for any of this, Calt. She was just leaving, right?” Ret looked at Kelsy strongly.

                Kelsy nodded quickly. She fiddled with her fingers down at her sides as Karlme released her hand to wrap his arm around her shoulders and squeezed her. He glared at Calt.

                “You see, that won’ts do,” Calt said. He turned to Karlme. “Sruck says that this is your girlfriend, yes?”

                “Yes.” Karlme didn’t hesitate. Kelsy looked up at him wide eyed. “Now will you leave? I was introducing her to my parents.” His eyes hadn’t changed back to their unusual color she finally noticed. They were a dark orange with large specks of brown floating around in them. They actually moved! What is he?

                Girlfriend? Girrrrlfrrrrriend? What is he doing?

                “I’m afraid I can’ts do that,” Calt smirked as he walked closer to him and Kelsy. Karlme un-wrapped his arm from around her shoulders and pushed Kelsy behind him while taking one of her hands in his. “You see Karlme, the Family doesn’ts know who she is. And if she’s from a neighboring village or nots.  Nos one has said about her.”

                “So?” Karlme forced.

                His mother looked at her son in surprise. He was always such a quiet boy; never back talked anyone, so good in school and never took an interest in Booshundian girls. So what did this Human girl have over him? How did her little boy change in just one day? This Human brought out everything she has been trying for years and years to get out—confidence, a voice, but maybe a little too pushy.

                “We’ll have to take the girl to the Family.” Calt stuck out his hand around Karlme to grab Kelsy.

                Karlme swatted the hand away and glared. “Nos.”

                “Calt, we have everything under control. Why don’ts you just take all your men and leave?” Ret snapped.

 Calt turned towards Ret and scrunched up his eyebrows. “Then why don’ts you take the girl in with us?”

                Ret rolled his eyes and grumbled, “Yes, make me do everything because you do nots have a handle over anything.” Ret went over to his son and grabbed Kelsy from his hands. Ret tugged on Kelsy’s wrist and she rammed into him.

                Kelsy looked up at Ret’s terrifyingly gruesome expression and whimpered. She looked at Karlme desperately. “Karlme,” she whispered. She had no idea what they were going to do with her or how everyone was going to react to her being Human here. I’m sorry, I’m sorry, I’m sorry, she continuously chanted in her head. Like that would change anything though.