Chapter 7

The car finally stopped as Karlme looked out the window. It was extremely pitch dark out now and sadly for not having night vision he couldn’t see where they were. He squinted his eyes and saw the outlines of things he couldn’t make out.

                He turned his attention towards his mother. “Mother, where are we?”

                “We are at the drive of the castle.” She stared ahead of her.

                “So we are here?” He wanted to clarify.

“Not quite.” She looked at him through the windshield. “We have to some way get passed the guards over there.” She pointed towards the guards standing ready with their swords clasped around their waist.

                Karlme looked at them to see if any of them looked familiar. A large, tall man stood out right away. Sruck! “Mother!” He grabbed onto the back of the drivers’ seat and popped his head around it to look at her. “Its is Sruck!”

                His mother took a second to look again at the guards. Her eyes widened at the sight of him. She turned her head to look at her hopeful son. “Do you think he will help?”

                He nodded. “Of course. He is the one that—“He stopped, thinking back to earlier at the main gate. He bit his lip, in thought. His face tinted red as he turned his attention towards the ground.

                “Karlme. He’s the one that what?” His mother said anxiously, looking from Sruck then back to him.

                “Nothings of importance.”

                She looked at his diverted eyes. He was always a bad liar and she knew that, but when Sruck comes into something it is always important no matter how small it seems to be. “Karlme.”

                “Well, uh, hmmm. He had seen something that has involving Kelsy and . . . well.” He nervously bit harder on his lip, continuing to look at the ground.

                “And? Karlme, what did he see?” His mother pushed. She turned around in her seat to have a better look at her son, wanting him to just spit out his words already and for him to stop leaving her in the dark like he sometimes did, but this was involving another life . . . though it may be a human life, it’s still a life.

                “Well . . .”

                Mucka stared at her with a horror struck look on and Soom just stayed silently staring. “Please, I can—“

                “Human?” Mucka said shocked. “Human?” He repeated, but in a whisper, gapping at her.

                “Please, just let me—“

                “Impossible.” Mucka shook his head and walked over to the over side of the hall, facing the wall and placing his forehead against the wall with his hands clasped behind his head.

                “But . . .” Soom started unsuccessfully, shaking his head in disbelief.

                They fell into silence, with Kelsy looking from a disbelieving Soom to the back of Mucka, fiddling with her hair nervously.

                “Mucka?” He didn’t turn around. She looked up at Soom. “Soom?” He looked at her quietly. “Please, let me explain.” He continued to be silent and stare at her. “I-I didn’t plan to come here,” she staggered and adverted her eyes to Mucka’s back. “I was brought here,” she rushed quietly. She kept her mouth shut until she saw some kind of a response.