Chapter 15

She woke up gasping for air. A thin layer of hot sweat covered her body and had her sticking to something soft. She moved her fingers over it slowing, but quietly. She kept her eyes closed lazily as she felt the presence of someone beside her, but couldn’t tell who. Her fingers felt through holes and hit the cold floor. A tattered blanket? Since when had she been sleeping?

                The last thing she could remember was Nepto holding her too tightly after being let down from the shackles and then seeing his face contort into confusion. She couldn’t think of anything other than that that could force her to go to sleep, but why would Nepto bring her a blanket to make her comfortable even if it was tattered? She had to hold back a moan of pain when the blood rushed to her head and her ears started to ring by clenching the hand of the person beside her couldn’t see.

                “Miss?”

                She remembered that voice. For sure she did, but she couldn’t put the voice to a name.

                “Miss?”

                There it was again. Now, she was almost positive that she’s heard that voice before, but she still couldn’t think of a name. Maybe, Nepto, but the voice calling to her sounded concerned and nothing like his. It was much younger and squeaky sounding.

                “Miss, are you okay? Are you awaken?”

                “Green boy!” She sat up quickly and faced him screeching. He fell backwards, only his hands holding him off of the floor completely, staring wide-eyed at her. “I know you.” She pointed at him. “You’re the guy that wouldn’t take me down from the shackles.” She narrowed her eyes at him as she finished her sentence.

                “Miss, you are . . . okay?” He said the last part slowly and unsure. He slowly pushed himself off of the floor, making sure to watch her and not make any sudden movements.

                She cocked her head to both sides looking at the ceiling. “If you call sleeping when you don’t remember sleeping and having a boy you don’t even know watch you okay,” she answered sarcastically, “then yep,” she popped the ‘p’ and looked back at the green boy.

                His face turned red. “Sorry, miss,” he said in a small voice, avoiding eye contact.

                “Kelsy, green boy.” She shook her head grinning. “I’m not old. Only fifteen.”

                He looked up and at her quickly. He didn’t seem to understand how she spoke or how she acted.

She looked at the room. It was all but dark, with two small torches on the left and right wall. There were no windows or doors in the room that she could see from the dim light. The ground was hard and concrete. There were cracks in the walls closest to what she could see. Bugs, possibly from what she could think they were, were coming out of every crack and all over the concrete floor, but not around them.

He looked at her questionably. Seems Booshundians don’t understand Humans, she snorted. And we’re banned.

                “We are banned from the Human world,” he corrected sitting cross-legged.

                “What?” She looked at him dumbfound. How the fuck could he know I thought that?

                “I can read minds, Miss.” He paused and licked his lips. “Kelsy,” he said it slowly, seeming to play with it on his tongue. “Kelsy,” he deepened his voice. “Kelsy,” he stretched out in exaggeration. “Kelsy,” he squeaked. “Kelsy.” He smiled at her.