Chapter 3

“Mother,” Karlme muttered to himself.

                “Karlme?” Kelsy whispered to him, frightened. She bit her bottom lip with glassy eyes.

                He looked at her and smiled softly. He placed a gentle hand on her interlocked ones. “Do nots scared, Kelsy. Mother is very sweet woman.”

                She nodded slowly and looked at his father. He looked uneasy, confused and uncomfortable from the way his back was arched, instead of leant against the couch’s back comfortably, and how his fingers gripped and un-gripped the arm of the couch—almost involuntarily. The look he gave her sent a chill down her spine. His father definitely gave her the heebie-jeebies.

                “Karlme? Ret?” His mother called confused, but in that motherly tone Kelsy’s mother always used towards her. Oh, how she wanted to go home.

                “In here, mother,” Karlme piped up.

                A woman walked through the entrance to the sitting room smiling. She had the look of elegance, grace and sophistication down packed. Her chocolate eyes smiled at them. Her strawberry-blonde hair fell down her back and over her shoulders in soft waves. She wore a slim yellow dress that was high collared, long-sleeved and knee length. Her eyes scanned the three people in the room then scrunched her eyebrows together when she saw the tension on everyone’s faces. “Ret, Karlme, who is this?”

                “Human,” Was all his father said, still staring uneasily at Kelsy.

                “Excuse me?” His mother gasped in surprise. Calling a Booshundian or any creature a human was considered the worse insult. “How could you say something so terrible about this girl, Ret?” His mother started walking over to his father—

“I am a Human.” Kelsy gulped. His mother seems nice enough, but then again, so did his father.

                His mother whipped around to face Kelsy. “What?” Shock turned to horror.

                She gulped again. “I am a Human,” she repeated.

                “But-nos. It’s nots possible.” His mother shook her head at the impossibility, starting to look dizzy.

                “I brought her here, mother.” Karlme looked at his mother with pleading eyes. He didn’t want her to react so poorly to Kelsy like his father did.

                His mother turned back to face his father. “Did you know about this, Ret?” Her eyes glistened with tears. They seemed fragile to the touch. His father only looked at his mother, saying nothing. “Please, Ret,” she begged. She was hurt by far. Humans weren’t even supposed to know about them, even though they knew about Humans.

                “I only just found out,” his father said softly. He shook his head. “The boy won’ts listen to reason.”

                “I am listening to the reason,” Karlme sneered at his father. His father looked over at him, but quickly went to looking at the Human.

                His mother whipped back around towards Karlme and Kelsy. A tear fell as she ran her finger through her strawberry blonde hair quickly. “What is your name, uh—“ She didn’t know if she should call her Human or not, seeing as her son already went off at his father.

                “Kelsy,” Kelsy cleared up. She watched as another tear fell from Karlme’s mother’s eye, as she sniffled. She nervously looked at Karlme and he squeezed her hands in response. “I don’t mean to be any trouble, honestly, but last night or a few hours ago or,” she shook her head and rolled her eyes “whatever. It was night in my world and I was walking in the woods by my house like I do most nights, but for some reason there was howling, which is completely strange since there haven’t ever been reports of wolfs in those woods. I got curious so I followed the howling. It seemed to get much louder as I walked towards the noise.” She looked at Karlme’s parents—his mother seemed most interested. His father just looked at her with a murderous look on his face. Oh boy. “Should I go on?”

                His mother sighed and wiped her cheeks with her sleeve. She was now sitting next to his father. “I guess.” His mother looked at Kelsy in wonder.

                Kelsy went on, “Then I heard Karlme say ‘stop. Please, its is a trap.’ But I couldn’t see him. I started to walk again and I sorta talked, but most of the time it didn’t seem like my voice. It was a woman’s voice, much higher than mine. I spoke her words without even knowing I was talking. I would laugh her creepy laugh. Of course I was scared.” She shivered from the memory. “Karlme then started pulling me through the woods. And when the wind blew, not like before when it was nice and cool, but this was cold and violent and it hurt.” She tugged at the collar of her sweatshirt and uncovered the large scar that she had previously got.

                Karlme’s mother gasped and leaned forward on the couch squinting her eyes. “Oh my.” She stuck her pointer finger out and traced it midair.

                His father just looked at it and put his arm over the back of the couch. His mother stopped and leaned half against the couch and haft against his father’s arm.

                “I was then pushed through a tree. Why a tree-I don’t know. But I then ended up in a sunny field, on my butt by the way and saw Karlme.” She looked at Karlme, sighed, then continued. “He dragged me again, but to the top of a mountain through a weird arch. The breeze was still the same and cut me more and more.” She pulled up her sweatshirt sleeves and pointed to where there were very little marks that she was hurt, but she knew they were there. His mother followed her movement with her eyes. “I was in way to much pain by then. Karlme had done something with crushing some berries and them forming a wall over the arch’s entrance so the woman chasing me didn’t come through. It was weird, but then we came here and Karlme healed me.” She turned to Karlme, smiling uneasily. “Thanks again.” He nodded back at her smiling.

                “Someone was chasing you?” His mother asked alarmed. Kelsy nodded. “By who?”

                Kelsy shrugged her shoulders and looked over at Karlme. He got the idea to answer his mother. “We do nots know, mother. Though, I can say that the woman is nots Human. She has to be a creature of some kind.”

                His mother stood up quickly. Kelsy looked at her oddly. “We have to go to the guards and tell them what’s going on.”

                His father tugged on his wife’s hand and she turned to face him. There was determination on her face and disgust on his. The determination on hers just made his contort into more disgust. “We can’ts go to the guards, Tesha. We will be in even more trouble for having a Human here.”

                “Then what do we do?” His mother asked.

                His father stood up in front of his mother and glared at the Human. “We bring her back to her world.”

                “Nos!” Karlme hissed. “You cannots. She will be sent to her death!” He tightened his grip on Kelsy’s hands, holding them more protectively.

                His mother turned around and looked pity at her son. “She’ll be sent to death here son.”

                He shook his head. “Nos she will nots. I . . . I . . . will—“

                “Do nothing,” Kelsy finished.

                “What?” Karlme turned to Kelsy.

                She narrowed her eyes at him. “You’re mom’s right. I’ll be killed here and if I go home, but maybe there I can see what the woman wants.” Kelsy started to stand up, but Karlme pulled her back to the couch.

                “You will nots go anywhere.” Karlme stared at her with now orange eyes.

                “Uh . . .” His eyes shined a very dark orange.

                BANG! The door swung opened forcefully.