Chapter 6

Kelsy blinked several times before adjusting to the blinding lights in the room. Not much of a room other than mix-matched broken off tiles, a high, white ceiling with lights on every tile and the four white walls that made up the room. Where were the windows? They might have been some, but her head was spinning at a good two hundred-plus miles. She groaned and tried to move away from the wall she was leaning on, but was tugged right back. She moaned in pain and looked down at her wrists. They were chained to the wall behind her. Her ankles were free; though she’d rather have her ankles chained then have the huge dog collar around her neck. Dog collar?

                She tried to look down at it, but it practically suffocated her neck, but at least it was connected to the wall by a chain so her head had some leeway. But the collar was so heavy. It started beeping and flashing a red light. It started quietly—once every few seconds—but then it repeatedly beeped louder and louder. The light shined on the wall in front of her and in came Ret and Calt.

                She stared wide-eyed at them and shrank back against the wall. They both had smirks on their faces as they crept closer to her; now right in front of her at the base of the wall.

                “I see you’re awake.” Calt continued to smirk as he towered over her exhausted frame.

                She stared at the ground nervously. Calt came closer to her and tapped her head with his pointer finger. “I see you like my new shoe, huh?” He scooted his shoe closer to her as she adverted her eyes away from the shoe. “Then why don’ts you take a closer look?” He forcefully slammed her head down to hit his steel-toed shoes. She groaned quietly and stared at the shoe. “You like it don’ts you?”

                She shook her head as she rested her chin on the front of the shoe so she wouldn’t be in too much pain. Apparently, Calt didn’t like the answer as he shoved her head down on his shoe harder. Now, her face was smashed into the front of his shoe while he held her head there.

                “How about now?” Calt hissed at her. When she didn’t answer, he flung her head back so it would smash into the wall behind her.

                She groaned again as she felt the blood rushing to her head and her ears start to ring.

                “Sir?” A male voice spoke from behind Calt and Ret. They turned around to face a tall, green-skinned boy.

                “What?” Calt hollered at the boy.

                The boy stared straight at them then leaned towards the right a little to take a look at Kelsy. He stared at her in wonder then turned his attention back to the two men in front of him. “The Family is ready to see her now, sir.”

                Calt waved his hand and rolled his eyes. “Go,” he commanded to the boy. The boy bowed his head respectively and rushed out of the room.

                Calt walked over to where Kelsy sat, pained, up against the far wall. She opened her eyes some as she heard footsteps approach her. She quickly focused her eyes on his hand that went behind his back and out appeared a small, silver key. He bent down and did something she couldn’t see. A click sounded from behind her, when the large chain holding her to the wall dropped to the ground. Two more clicks sounded from the chains holding her wrists to the wall, when they opened and the pressure was eased, but red marks and dry blood formed on them.

                “Stand up.” Ret glared at her, tapping his foot on the tiled floor impatiently.

                She did as she was told, but fell back to the floor without realizing how heavy the collar actually was. She pushed herself off her stomach and in a sitting position.