Chapter 8

Karlme and his mother were hiding behind bushes, away from the car. Guards were coming in and out of the castle with only the light of the two moons to guide them through the night. He had ignored his mother through the rest of the long car ride. He being rude to his mother, but his mind just wasn’t in the right place. A loud crash sounded from the castle, causing him and his mother to be taken back. Of course Karlme thought of the worse, but his mother slowly calmed him down. Their main priority . . . Kelsy.

                Struck was still outside the doors, whistling and juggling pebbles in his hand.

                Karlme looked at his mother when she nodded. The two of them walked out from behind the bushes and started over to Sruck. A huge knot in Karlme’s stomach made him even more anxious. He looked over to his mother but she didn’t seem to notice. She was determined looking, something he had always envied.

                Sruck stopped whistling and smiled brightly as he saw them. “Was’ up, little man?” He reached over and ruffled Karlme’s short hair. He smiled awkwardly and adjusted his stance. “And, Tesh,” he said hyped, giving her a quick hug. “Where’s your girl, little man?” He asked curiously as he flicked a pebble in the air and caught it.

                “She is nots my girl,” Karlme muttered.

                Struck rolled his eyes and smiled in a sing-song tone, “that’s nots what I saw.”

                “Anyway,” Tesha said irritated, “we have to get into the castle to get, Kelsy.”

                Sruck squinted his eyes at her. “How’d she get in there?”

                “Calt and father,” Karlme spat in disgust at the term he used, “took Kelsy to see the Family.”

                “Why?” Sruck threw another pebble in the air, this time crushing it mid-air. Karlme and his mother said nothing. “Ya know ya can’ts just go in whenever.” He eyed the pebbled he forced to float in the air.

                Karlme looked at his mother, as did she. Karlme didn’t want to tell Sruck what Kelsy was, but there didn’t seem to be another choice.

                Karlme bit his lip uneasily.

                Sruck looked at Karlme and then at Tesha. “What’s going on, Tesh?” She continued to look at her son. “Ya know ya guys can tell me,” Sruck exclaimed calmly. “Guys?” His face scrunched up, concerned.

                “You did nots seen it?” Karlme asked.

                Struck shook his head, “Seen what?”

                “Mo-mother.” Karlme bit down on his lip and looked away from Sruck.

                Tesh sighed and quickly eyed her son. When Kelsy is around he is so outgoing and smiles and blushes in the cutest way, but when she isn’t he is back to his normal self. Maybe this girl really is something extraordinary. She looked at Struck seriously and said calmly, “Kelsy is Human.”

                Struck dropped the pebble from the air and looked at them dumbfounded. “Shit.” He shook his head still dazed. “Are ya sure?” Karlme nodded. “Then how did she get here?”

                “I might have gone in the Human world,” Karlme answered, shifting his weight and licking his dry lips. He swallowed, trying