Chapter 18

Kelsy was kicking her legs back and forth in her chair, waiting for Tis and the other members of the Family to speak to them. She fiddled with her fingers until Karlme placed one of his over hers. She looked at him smiling calmly at her. She kicked her feet some more-back and forth, back and forth, left, right, left, right, left—

                “Kelsy, please calm down,” Karlme begged. He outstretched his leg in front of hers so she couldn’t kick them anymore.

                “I am calm,” she protested. She tried moving his hands and leg away from her, but he wouldn’t have it.

                “Right, because a person that is fidgeting and twiddling is so calm,” he retorted sarcastically. He pressed down slightly harder on her hands.

                She stared at him confused. “Since when did you use sarcasm or even know what it was for that matter?”

                “I have learned things while you were gone.” He shrugged. A corner of her mouth turned up. She thought he didn’t see it, but he did. “I like it better when yous are smiling.”

                She sighed and looked around the room.

                It was huge compared to most gyms and cafeterias combined in her world. Thrones were lined up against the wall in front of her. The thrones at each end were the largest and most extravagant. Carved into was an animal on the head rest of each. The only one she could figure out was one that was a snake coiling around another with its large fangs showing. The other thirteen had to be animals from their world. The colors were mostly organic, like the furniture, fireplaces and wall of light brown color.

                The floors were dark wood, other than the steps that led up to the stage like structure that all the thrones were on. Chairs, sofas and tabled were scattered around the area where Kelsy, Karlme and the rest of them sat. There were three fireplaces; one on the wall farthest from the thrones, one on the wall to the right of Kelsy and Karlme and one on the ceiling. She couldn’t figure out how they managed that.

                Ret had tried to make reason with Tesha and apologize. It hadn’t worked out in his favor when Tesha slapped him and told him she wanted nothing to do with him. She was now sitting on a sofa with Sruck near the fireplace.

                Kayleb was introduced to her as another psychic, but he was interested in a prophecy she didn’t quite understand. He seemed okay to her. He was talking with Mucka and Soom.

                Calt was restrained to a chair in the corner behind Kelsy and Karlme with chains and shackles. Ret sat quietly next to him. Calt squirmed and screamed ignorant things.

                “When are they com—“              

                The large double doors opened to Kelsy’s left. The fourteen members of the Family entered in a single file. Everyone stood up, including her this time. She smoothed out the T-shirt she was given. It was too big for her too wear, so she scrunched it in the back and stuck the newly made tail in the back of her jeans. The Family stood in front of their thrones for a few moments before sitting down; all except for Tis. Kelsy and the rest of them sat down. Karlme held Kelsy’s shaking hand and squeezed it.

                “We all know what is going on here and I do nots like it,” Tis said. He looked around the room and spotted Kelsy. She bit her lip, staring at him. His eyes were hard. “We have a Human that entered our home and I do nots like it.” He glared at Kelsy. “She has disrupted the balance of this home and for that, she must be punished.”