Chapter 11

Kelsy sat in front of the fire with her pointer finger tracing the top edges of the glass that was placed beside her. She listened to the crackling of the fire as it ate its own at the wood logs and watched as the flames danced around, forming 3-D images of people on horseback chasing wolves and human-like creatures with incredibly long fangs and wings. She turned at the sound of footsteps.

                “Kelsy, you ready for slept?” Soom asked as he passed through the doorway now in black pajama pants and a gray T-shirt.

                She nodded and got up off the floor with the glass she had previously placed on the floor. She followed Soom down the hall he came from and into a small room.

                He turned around to face her and smiling small. “You sleep here tonight.”

                She nodded and walked over to sit on the bed that was against the wall opposite the door. A nightstand with a lamp, an empty picture frame and two drawers sat beside the bed to its right. A mirror hung on the right wall and to the left of the door. A window was closed beside an old-fashioned dresser with nothing on its top, two swinging doors taking up the majority of it and two small drawers were under it.  The walls were a soft red and the carpet was a grass green. Not very color coordinated.

                 She stood back up when she realized she had nothing to sleep in other than her overused clothes from the night or day before. But she honestly wasn’t sure what day it was. “Do you have any girl clothes that may fit me?” She asked, placing her glass on the nightstand and turning to face him. Though she doubted he had teenage girl clothes considering he didn’t seem to have a niece or a daughter and the place was ancient looking.

                He nodded and pointed to the dressers’ doors, watching her. “I believing there some is there.”

                She walked over to the dresser and opened the doors. It amazed her to find an array to girl’s clothes; from pajamas to day clothes to even undergarments. She quickly looked through them, but didn’t understand the sizing. Most of the shirts said fourth-Q, the pants said sixth-four, while the underwear and bras said third-sixteenth and tenth-four-zero-K. She picked up a T-shirt and a pair of pajama shorts she thought went together. She turned around to Soom, holding up the clothes unsure. “Uh, Soom?” He continued to watch her. “What’s fourth-Q and sixth-four mean on the tags?”

                He looked at her confused. “That is the sizes of the cloth.”

                “Serious?” She looked at him confused.

                He stared back with equal confusion, nodding. “Do you nots use those for sizes in Human cloth?”

                “No, not really.” She looked at the shirt tag still confused. “We only use single digit numbers, sometimes double if you’re heavier than average, but some have a letter to show the same thing as the number.”

                “Okay . . .” Soom dragged on as he walked over to her, taking the shirt out of her hand and placing it a little in front of her abdomen and chest to take a better look at it. “It should fit though.” He examined it a split second more, then nodded. “Yes, you look the same size as my niece did.”

                He placed the shirt on the bed then started to walk out the door.

                “Wait!” He turned around. “What do you mean by as my niece did?”