Meeseeks and Destroy (Extra)

Morty lets his body fall limply on top of his bed while letting out a tired groan. I yawn lightly, grabbing on to his blanket to cover his small figure before turning to leave his room. I don't make it very far however, stopping in my tracks after feeling a tug on my jacket's sleeve. I glance behind me to see a small hand holding onto the thick fabric.

"You alright, kid?" I ask the owner of the limb while turning back to gaze at his form. With his back towards me he only replies with a series of sniffling. I arch my brow in confusion, unsure of what to do in response to his odd actions.

"Stay...." He manages to say through his quiet sobbing. I frown at his words after realizing the reason for his behavior. With a heavy heart and mournful sigh I remove his hand. Walking off to grab a chair by his desk to pull towards the side of his bed.

"Alright." I answer him simply while taking a seat, leaning back with my arms crossed in an attempt to make myself more comfortable. His figure relaxes a bit after hearing my words. His crying soon ceasing and becoming silent, eventually turning into a soft snore. I continue to look at his now peaceful form, allowing my mind to wonder. Thinking about the events that occurred today and regretting a lot of the choices I made and lack thereof. As I'm going through these moments a constant pain made itself evident in my chest, but it's not a pain that I have had much experience with. No, it's not the familiar discomfort that raided my being as an anxiety attack, it feels different. I'm hurting, not for myself, but for the young teen resting before me. He didn't deserve to go through all of that, he's just a kid that doesn't know any better. If I would have paid more attention I could have protected him. Morty always relies so heavily on me, trusting me and I let him down. He got hurt and I can't help but feel like I could have prevented that. Placing one leg over the other I let out a sigh in frustration, I hate feeling guilty and the worse part is there is nothing I can take to stop it. While I'm lost in my thoughts, I fail to notice someone else entering the room. I tense up when I am made aware of their presence, feeling a hand come down on my shoulder.

"You're thinking too much again." I relax a little more to the touch, recognizing the voice to be Rick's.

"Yeah, well, it can't be helped." I reply, uncrossing my arms to rub the tiredness out of my eyes.

"Hm, you should get some sleep though. So you can hold up tomorrow. Don't want to have to pick up your slack." He responds while softly pushing my shoulder.

"Geez, quit it. And I don't think Ill be getting much sleep anyway." I say with a bit of irritation lacing my tone. Rick hums in response, turning away to leave through the open door. I am again, left in silence. I lean forward, using my hands to cover my face in fatigue. I only look up when I hear something being dragged across Morty's carpeted floor. Sitting up, I watch as the taller man brings over another chair and places it beside me. Rick takes a seat, letting out a sigh in exhaustion.

"What are you staring at?" The scientist asks me while taking out his flask.

"Nothing... I guess." I respond to him, removing my gaze from his figure and back towards the resting teen. I hear Rick take a drink beside me. After a few moments I feel him nudge me with his elbow. I look up at him, then down at his gesturing arm. He held his flask out towards me and I hesitate a bit, not sure what his intentions were.

"You want some or n(burp)ot?" He asks me. I look at him and respond by taking a hold of the metal object. I take a long swig before handing it back to him, savoring the bitter and burning taste of Rick's strange concoction. He takes it from my hand, putting it back into his lab coat pocket.

"Thanks." I say to him. He again hums in response to my gratitude, not saying anything that would provoke any further conversation. I don't mind it though, feeling comfortable remaining silent for the rest of the night.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I open my eyes suddenly, awaken by the bright light that entered the small room. I drowsily look around me, realizing that I had fallen asleep sitting in Morty's room. I let out a quiet yawn before attempting to lift my arms for a quick stretch. In trying to do so, I find that my left arm is occupied by a weighted presence. I look over to see a familiar head of hair leaning on my shoulder, fast asleep. My surprised gaze continues to follow his form, ultimately landing on our intertwined fingers. I look away with wide eyes, unsure if what I am seeing is actually happening. After a moment of disbelief, I finally begin to sink into the moment. Appreciating the warmth that his hand emitted and the tightness of his grip. The mere fact that Rick is showing this level of affection towards someone, let alone me, confuses me. At the same time though I can't help but feel special and...cared for. That's not to say that I've never felt that Rick cares about me. It's just that, this time it feels different, different in a way that I feel words can't explain. I fall out of my thoughts the second I see Rick begin to stir awake. I instantly start to freak out, unsure of what to do and how to act. I freeze, watching as he opens his eyes. His expression is one of confusion, lifting his head to gaze around the room. His eyes ultimately landing on my shocked features. Rick then looks down to see our linked hands and In doing so, begins to mirror my expression. Even though we both seem startled by the situation neither of us makes any sort of movement. After a few minutes his mouth opens, but closes quickly, as if he was unsure of what to say. On my end I struggle to find something to say as well, not sure if there was anything to be said. I soon begin to hear movement coming from the bed in front of us. Our heads snap towards the direction, pulling our hands away in a swift motion. The young boy turns towards us with tired eyes, letting out a yawn before speaking in a low tone.

"(Y/N)....? Rick..?"

"Hey, little buddy. You feelin' okay?" I ask, my voice unsteady from the nerves that I had built up. Morty nods his head in response, oblivious to my strange tone.

"Y-yeah, what time is it?"

"Can't be any later than 7." Rick responds after clearing his throat in an uneasy manner.

"Oh geez I have school...You think y-you guys can leave. I mean uh thanks for staying a-and all, (Y/N). But uh..." Morty stutters a bit at the end while lifting himself from his bed.

"Say no more. I'm out, kid." I say, getting up from the chair and ruffling the young boys hair before leaving. I walk away feeling that Rick was following not to far behind. I turn to see him lean onto the now closed door, looking at the floor and remaining silent. I look at him and briefly wonder what exactly could be going through his mind. I look away and clear my throat of the saliva that I had been too nervous to swallow. Deciding to speak in order to clear the air of any lingering awkward essences.

"Lets get some shit done, Yeah" I comment, clearly trying to avoid any conversation of what had just happened. Rick didn't hesitate to roll with the change in subject, standing up straight he begins to head downstairs while taking a drink out of his flask. I follow him with relief, glad that I was able to change the tone between the two of us. I breath in deeply while walking into the garage, attempting to push away the feelings that I still couldn't quite label.