Rick Potion #9 Part 1

I examine the exposed portion of Rick's ship, looking over some of the broken mechanics that was the result of our latest trip. With a sigh I walk over to grab a box of tools before placing them on the floor nearby. After putting on a pair of work gloves, I reach inside the open gap to search for what exactly was damaged during our little "adventure". To my satisfaction, not much of the interior was harmed, it's the exterior that seemed to take most of the blow. I reach inside the tool box and pull out a soldering iron, using it to meld some of the wires back into their place. I continue to fix the ship while listening to Rick work on something else behind me. After doing what's needed to the inner part of the ship, I remove my work gloves to wipe away some sweat that had begun to gather on my forehead. I move my neck to either side, relieving my joint of the pressure that had been built up. I let out a sigh in discomfort, walking out of the garage to get something to drink in the kitchen. Stepping into the other room, I see Morty sitting by the counter with a gloomy look to him. I hum in curiosity, opening the fridge to grab a bottle of water before sitting beside the sour faced boy.

"Well don't you look like the typical face for an antidepressant ad." I tease a little before downing some water. Morty looks up at me with an annoyed gaze only to look back down at the plate of cookies before him. I let out a small sigh, understanding that he wasn't in the mood to be messed with.

"Alright sorry for teasing. What's up, Mort?" I ask with a more serious tone while placing my water on the counter in front of me. He looks up at me with a contemplating look, as if he was trying to decide whether to tell me or not. After thinking for a bit he seemed to have made up his mind.

"Well um y-you know how there there's this girl I like.." He starts, looking down to play with his fingers.

"Yeah uh...what is it..?" I say putting a bit of thought into it. "Jessica, right?" I finally snap out. He nods his head in confirmation with a small smile, as if he were happy that I remembered that detail.

"Ye-yeah. Jessica....well um today, I wanted to ask her to the dance. B-but this this meat head.." Morty begins to say, his voice getting more irritated as he continues. "Th-this guy named Brad kind of bullied me out of it....I don't know, it just seems like only jerks like him get the girl." He finishes while leaning his face on one hand with a look of disappointment.

"Listen, bud, I don't know much about things like this but what I do know is that looks and popularity only get you so far in life. If you're a shit person on the inside you'll be attracting nothing but shitty people. You guys are young and girls Jessica's age don't understand concepts like this yet. Just give her some time and a few ex boyfriends, she'll be crying to you about her mistakes in no time." I reply with a small pat on the young boy's shoulder. It was then that a presence that I was not aware of made themselves known.

"That's a bit harsh." Jerry comments as he continues to make himself something to eat.

"How long have you been here?" I ask him with a confused and annoyed stare. Jerry has been getting on my last nerve as of late and I couldn't help but start expressing it more often.

"I've been here the whole time. Ever since Morty started talking." He says to me with an offended tone. I give him a small shrug before replying,

"I'm sorry that your existence means so little that my biological radar for sensing people near me fails to notice you in any way." I finish while taking another drink of my water. Morty gives me a little nudge, as to remind me that I needed to keep my cool. Recently, I had decided to refrain from my anxiety medication, becoming aware that I seemed to be using it more often. Morty knew this and agreed to help me deal with my withdrawal symptoms. One of the most evident being my inability to hold my tongue. Rick thought that my little outburst were funny and so he encouraged my attitude. Morty however, did not appreciate it and asked if I could prevent myself from insulting the people he cares about. I, of course agreed to it and so began my tortuous journey in trying to deal with the idiot people in my life without making fun of them. It's actually proving to be more difficult than I thought.

"Right, Sorry." I say with a bit of reluctance. Although I didn't really mean the apology, it's a lot better then not saying it at all.

"Right." He replies with a neglectful tone, seemingly aware that I wasn't being sincere.

"Try not to worry about it, Morty. You're a good kid. And there's not a premium on that right now but you'll be getting girls some time after Brad's out of shape." Jerry continues to say, this time directing his attention to his son.

"You're missing the point, Dad. I don't want girls. I want Jessica." Morty replies to his father with an annoyed tone. Seeing that Morty wasn't satisfied with his advice, Jerry stops preparing his food to look at the young boy.

"Ah. Well. I remember feeling that way about a young lady named your Mom. And that's not an urban dis. Your mom was my Jessica. I remember the first time I saw her, I thought -"

"I should get her pregnant, then she'll have to marry me." A rough voice suddenly interrupts Jerry. I look slightly behind him to see Rick opening a cupboard to grab a glass. Jerry turns to look towards the older man.

"I beg your pardon, Rick. Inappropriate." He comments while gesturing towards where Morty is sitting.

"Sorry, please proceed with your story about banging my daughter in high school." Rick refers to him while rummaging around the refrigerator.

"I'm not sure you want to take romantic advice from this guy, Morty. His marriage is hanging from a thread." He continues to say but this time directing his words to Morty.

"My marriage is fine, thank you!" Jerry retaliates angrily.

"Jerry, it's your house, whatever you say is how it is, but I think a blind man could see Beth is looking for the door. I barely have a reason to care and even I noticed." The taller man replies while walking over to the three of us.

"Hey, Rick! Don't talk about my parents like that!" Morty states defensively towards him.

"Listen, Morty." Rick begins to say while standing beside the young teen.

"I hate to break it to you, but what people call "love" is just a chemical reaction that compels animals to breed. It hits hard, then slowly fades, leaving you stranded in a failing marriage. (Y/N) almost did it. I did it. Your parents are doing it. Break the cycle, Morty. Rise above it. Focus on science." He finishes before walking out of the room with his drink.

"And you thought I was being harsh," I say to Jerry before standing up from my seat. "Anyway, Mort, try not to take what Rick said to heart. He might have a point, but I'm one to believe that there is more to love then that." I comment, squeezing the teen's shoulder before heading towards the garage. I walk up to the broken ship again, giving it a once over before my thought process is interrupted.

"Are you really still that stupid? I gotta say I'm a bit disappointed." I hear Rick comment casually behind me. I roll my eyes in response, fully aware that he was referring to my last statement to Morty.

"Are you really that much of an asshole? I gotta say I thought you were more than just a depressed old fucker." I snap back in a mimicking manner, not appreciating the fact that he called me stupid. In an effort to distract myself, I go back to working on the ship. He laughs in response before making his next statement.

"Ha I missed this short fused (Y/N), she's funny. You kidding though right? You out all people should know how bullshit love really is."

I let out a sigh in response, deciding the I would rather change the subject than to discuss this topic.

"What kind of metal did you use for the exterior of the ship?" I ask the scientist while standing up straight in thought.

"It's called Clairium. It's a mineral that I found back on Callisto." He responds while standing beside me to look at his ship.

"Huh, well it looks like I'm going to have to make a quick trip over there. I'll finish fixing it there and it should be good as new....or at least back to what it was." I tell him. Rick nods in response before looking down at me.

"Yeah well get to it. I ne(Burp)ed you here for other projects."

"Yeah, yeah okay." I respond to him while climbing into the ship's passenger seat, . "See you in a bit."

Closing the door, I start the engine before flying the ship onward.