•Marco reus•

Credits to fortheloveoffutbol
____________________

The red numbers on the clock may have shown 3:14 AM but that didn't induce her back into a sleepy daze five minutes after her brown eyes and long eyelashes had fluttered open due to the sound of the heavy rain hitting their bedroom window. Instead she felt like she was stuck wide awake, staring up at the dark ceiling she could barely see aside from the little bit of light that provided some vision in the dark room.

Thank Marco for that as he had decided dark everything should be the theme of their bedroom.

Dark sheets, dark comforter, even light-eliminating shades to cover their windows though she had managed to draw them open a little before falling asleep so she could see just a little peak of the outside.

Her hands rested against her stomach, a fact she somberly realized as her eyes drew down to the area covered by the large blanket she had been hoarding from her husband's body. The absence of a baby bump nearly made her eyes swell but that wasn't a feeling she wasn't used to. It had already been a year since the loss of her baby and she still at times felt that terrible feeling creeping up her throat, nearly making her choke. Sometimes even sitting in the bathroom too long felt like her brain was filling with a flashback of the moment.

3:19 am she realized it was as she dug her mind from that trance before she ended up too deep in an emotional state she couldn't stand to be in.

She knew Marco hated when he woke up in the middle of the night to her pile of tears, the wetness not only covering her pillow but his as well as she would bury her head in the crook of his neck. Or maybe it was also her long locks of hair that always seemed to awkwardly cover his lips whenever she did such a thing. The heavy sobs tended to fill his ears for a few minutes before he finally stirred from his deep sleep and like a routine, he'd pet her head gently and as soothingly as he possibly could, pulling some deep romantic words from his thoughts to whisper in her ear.

For some reason he was much more romantic when half-asleep than he was when he was fully awake. Try and get Marco to write his wife a loving note at 3 pm and you were fresh out of luck but 3 am? You had a winner and she was sure to be in tears by the end of the last word.

But tonight she wouldn't wake him up with her tears. Tonight she would suck it up and watch the rain instead.

She rolled over to face the window, lying on the right side of the bed so she could solely focus on the outdoors. It lasted all of 10 minutes before she realized the dreary weather outside was not going to be her aid to return back to sleep. Groaning, she rolled back over to face Marco and immediately giggled at the innocent look covering his face.

His hand sat under his cheek, his hair messily spread up, down and around his head in the most disorganized positions it could manage. His fingers clung to the little bit of blanket she had decided to share with him, knowing that if he let go he would lose the cover completely.

Her hand moved from her side to touch his cheek, her thumb grazing over his skin as she continued to stare. Sometimes it felt unreal to know this man was hers. Not because of his career and who he was to others but because of who he was to her. He was a man that she had never experienced before. One that could take her from one end of the emotion spectrum to the other in the blink of an eye, one who seemed to draw out every ounce of love from her petite body to pour into his.

It was the same reason she had nearly lost it when standing up at the altar to repeat the vows she had written for him, realizing that all that she had dreamed of in a man was standing right before her, ready to be labeled hers forever.

"If you're gonna keep staring at me like that the least you can do is not wake me with your hands." The sleepy, deeper than normal voice of Marco breaking the silence of the room made her lips break apart into a smile though it was a gesture he couldn't see as his eyes remained close. Somehow even without the vision he managed to lift his hand and grab hers into his, kissing it lightly before placing it back down by her side so she was no longer touching his cheek.

"Did I wake you?"

"A little late for that question."

"Sorry," she mumbled lowly though she really wasn't sorry at all. He didn't have anywhere to be in the morning. He could stand to lose about 20 minutes entertaining her back into sleep, right?

It didn't seem like Marco caught onto that plan because if his eyes were any sign, he planned on falling right back into the comfortable sleep he was in and returning to his dream if there was one to return to. It only took a few minutes before she noticed the rhythmic rise and fall of his chest as the sign that he had left her to deal with her own night boredom.

Too bad he wouldn't get that.

"Marco," she spoke lowly into the silence hoping she wouldn't have to repeat herself or stir him awake physically to get him to respond.

She got her wish. "Yes?"

"Do you like me?"

"I married you." Now his eyes seemed to pop open though they still didn't get as wide as his normal, his eyelids trying to fight away the sleep that was pulling them back down. "Bab—it's nearly 4 in the morning."

"I just thought I would ask."

"At 4 in the morning?!"

"I can think at this time too, you know. Now can you answer?"

"I just told you I married you." If it was any sign by the way of Marco's tone, he still wasn't understanding her questions and probably no one would but hey, thoughts at 3 in the morning, part 52 for her.

"Yes but did you marry me as a friend or like, a wife? I wanted to be sure."

"You have lost it," Marco chuckled and rather than continue to answer her questions, he rolled over to face the other way. "Goodnight, love."

"I just wanted to ask!"

"Goodnight!"