•oscar emboaba•

By imagines-footballers

"I guess this is sort of weird since I'm doing what the best man usually does but hey, who cares about weird? I've known Oscar since we were little and he's definitely changed since then. He's gone from the kid who would knock on the front door and attempt to persuade my Father to let me go out and play football with him to this talented young man with everything in the world at his feet." I started off my speech.
This was killing me. I was making the 'best mans speech' at my best friends wedding. Except I didn't think of him as best friend, I thought of him as someone I truly loved. And of course he had no idea. Oscar's favourite things to do was attempt to set me up on dates and interrogate me about my love life, or my lack of it. And you know what made it even worse? His bride was perfect for him. I couldn't even bring myself to hate her because of how amazing she was.
She was the best thing that ever had happened to him, at least that's what he told me. She made it to every single one of his games without one tiny complaint, unlike myself who would complain about being cold or some other thing. She had made the most beautiful home for them and she had welcomed my relationship with Oscar with open arms. She considered me one of her best friends and whenever I visited I would be engulfed in hugs from her. And every one of her smiles towards me were the most genuine, pure, and non-spiteful things ever.
I hated that I couldn't hate her.
"And he's got the most amazing women by his side." I breathed, trying to choke back my tears. "Lily is so genuine and kind, the exact woman I pictured him. I like to think I know a lot about their relationship and when Oscar asked me to help him pick a ring I realised how serious he was. I never imagined Oscar getting married so young but I can't blame him because if I had relationship so perfect I would want to get married too." I said, trying to avoid eye contact with both of them.
This wasn't how our lives were meant to go. Oscar was meant to be a successful footballer back home and I was meant to be a musician and together we'd take on the world; we didn't need anyone but each other. It was us against the world.
But that had changed. Oscar was a hugely successful footballer in London and my music career was far from what I wanted it to be. I worked in a crappy coffee shop and barely had time for anything. Oscar said he needed me but he didn't. He had Lily, he needed her.
"So now is time for my emotional speech about the boy I call my best friend. Yes I called him a boy because in my eyes he will never be a man." I said, raising laughs from around the room. "Oscar I'm so proud of you. We made so many plans when we were younger and your side of them had worked out so well and that's all I ever wanted. Because, Oscar Emboaba, your happiness is just as important to me as my own happiness." I said looking directly into his eyes, meaning every single word.
My happiness was seeing him happy. And him being happy came from Lily. He was so in love with her that I would be invited round for a 'Y/N and Oscar day' and that would soon change into an 'Oscar and Lily cuddling on the sofa and Y/N feeling like a third wheel day'.
"I will leave you with this. Oscar and Lily, I  wish you both a lifetime of happiness and love." I raised my glass and the rest of the room followed my example. "To Oscar and Lily."
"To Oscar and Lily." The rest of the room echoed and we all drank our drinks.
I got down from the podium to be greeted with a hug from Oscar. I inhaled his scent.
"That was such a touching speech Y/N. I love you." He said into my shoulder.
Yeah but not the way I want you to.