•Countinho•

Credits to fortheloveoffutbol
____________________

A loud and incessant pounding on my door nearly caused me to jump from my seat on the couch. It was close to 1 in the morning and I wasn't expecting any company. I cautiously moved closer to the door where I could hear my name being slurred.

"Y/N! Y/NNNNN! Answer the door." A voice I recognized as Philippe stood on the other side of the door, still heavily knocking. My eyebrows furrowed as I swung the door open and there he stood, stumbling into my home without another word.

"What are you doing here? How did you even get here?" I peered out of the door to look for his car but didn't see anything in the driveway aside from my own vehicle. I shut the door behind me and turned to see him plop down onto my couch lazily, his head immediately falling back comfortably while his eyes drooped closed for a moment while he spoke. "I got a friend to drop me off."

It was obvious he had quite the night out. The smell of liquor was vibrant from his breath as I sat down next to him. "How was the bachelor party?"

A smile perked his lips. "It was fucking amazing. You should have been there. The guys had it all set up at this dope club. Women dancing, drinks, it was perfect." He finally broke open his eyes and turned his head in my direction. "It was a great way to celebrate my last night of freedom."

Last night of freedom...

The words rang out in my ear as I thought about them, thought about the fact my best friend was soon to be wed to the love of his life to live happily ever after while I sat in a puddle of misery and regret. I had been there every step of the way throughout his relationship, even present at the dinner where he proposed to Aine surrounded by family and friends.

"I guess you should enjoy it while you got it, huh?" I commented, my tone lacking emotion. For a while, Philippe said nothing until he found what he really wanted to say.

"What am I doing, Y/N?"

He looked up at me with pleading drunk eyes, his once happy expression now molding to one that showed fear and sadness. "I'm young, barely an adult and I'm getting...married." It was as if he was just coming to the realization he was about to conjoin his life with someone else's, as if he hadn't been planning this elaborate wedding for months now and it was only weeks away.

I had never recognized him as being regretful of his decision. He always seemed so happy with Aine to the point that it made me sick sometimes because all I could do was think of it being me instead.

But rather than saying that, I remained quiet as I had been for all of the other times the topic of his romantic endeavors came up. I instead let him continue his drunken rant which began to reveal his true feelings.

"How am I going to please her for the rest of my life? We already argue every other night! What is marrying her going to do? I'm just going to be stuck. Sometimes I think I'm just doing this to please everyone else. 'Oh you two are so cute you should get married'," he mocked the tone of those who adored his relationship with a disgusted look on his face. "I love her. I really do but what if this isn't the right decision? What if I'm rushing? You can't undo marriage. She did all of this planning, she's so excited. I don't want to disappoint her."

This was the moment where his drunken speed slowed and he stopped talking to wait for me to interject my thoughts while I was stuck unsure of what to say. I knew better than to throw out my feelings. That would be far too selfish. I knew how he felt about his fiancée. I knew how much he loved her so for me to try to ruin that would surely bring harsh karma my way and maybe even embarrassment if I was hit with the reality that the feelings were not mutual.

I didn't want to risk it so I stayed mum, instead offering encouraging words. "If you really love her, it won't matter how young you are. You proposed. You knew then that this was what you wanted. I just think you're getting a bit nervous now that the date is approaching and I understand that but listen to what your heart is telling you. I'm sure it's telling you that this marriage is the right thing."

His frightened look began to fall into a soft smile as I had seemed to talk him off of the ledge. "You're right. I-I don't know." He dropped his head to his hands and ran them through his hair carelessly. "Everything will be fine. Everything will be fine," he repeated to himself.

Philippe stood up from his seat on my couch and leaned down to kiss my forehead while I remained seated. "I'm gonna get some rest. Can I take the other room?"

I nodded and gave off a weak smile which he returned with a genuine one. "Goodnight." He quickly bounded down the hall, or at least as quickly as he could given his drunken state, and I slouched down in the couch cushions.

I realized I had squandered away my last chance to admit my true feelings.