Jesse Lingard

By: comfortablechaox

"Girl, I see you staring."

You shrieked slightly at the sudden sound of the voice from your friend Gabby as you didn't hear her approaching from behind due to the loud music in the club. It took you a while to realise how it must look to others, seeing you sitting by yourself and playing with the straw of your cocktail, lost in thought.

"Staring at what?" Seemingly clueless you gave her an innocent grin but she immediately saw through your act.

"Nah, you can't fool me, I know you way too well. Even though it's been a long time since the last we've seen us, I'm glad that everything stayed the same." Gabby remarked with an impish smile which made you raise your eyebrows questioningly even though you knew exactly what she was referring to.

Then she made a light move with her head in the direction of two people sitting close to each other and probably having an intimidate conversation.

"No need to be jealous of her, Jesse is just being his usual open-minded self and most likely won't even remember her seconds after their, uh... 'conversation' is finished." Gabby tried to clarify which made you only shrug your shoulder, trying to look unbothered by the situation.

"It's none of my business what he's doing with who and him sleeping around is nothing new."

Still, you felt a slight pang in your chest and bid on your lips to deny yourself making a contemptuous remark. It definitely felt different to actually witness his actions than hearing it from other people. Saying it didn't bother you would be a lie.

Gabby seemed to notice the slightly disappointed undertone behind your sharp remark and encouragingly put a hand on your shoulder, leading you away from the scene.

Moments like these made you realise once more that a simple crush could last longer than you thought. While your friendship with Jesse never seemed to change between you two, especially when he became more known, you couldn't say that you liked being only his friend as the older you got, the more you noticed your subtle attraction to your very close friend.

Obviously, this didn't go unnoticed by Gabby, she knew both of you very well since she spent her entire life with both of you in Manchester before she had moved to Liverpool in order to play for Everton's women team. She could read you like a book, knowing that you saw in her cousin more than a friend even though you would never say it out loud.

And while she always teased you for it and told you that you should just admit it to him because she couldn't imagine Jesse just stopping being friends with you if he didn't feel the same, she also knew at what time you needed comfort.

"Come on, even if she's going home with him, it will never be something serious, something real. Your day may come, you just gotta jump outta your shell and show him what he's been missing the whole time!" She winked at you mischievously.

Now you had to chuckle as well but insecurity quickly got the better of you and you just shook your head denyingly.

"Did you see his exes? They all look like stunning queens and then there's... me."

Before Gabby could add her two cents, you two felt a well-known hand on your shoulders which lead to a person shoving between you.

"So, how are my two favourite girls doing?" The grin on his face was wide, reflecting the good mood he was in.

"Are you serious, Jesse? After the girl from before dropped you, your so-called favourite girls are suddenly good enough again for you?!" Gabby said playfully offended which made him laugh even more.