10:49am (Waxing Crescent Moon)*

(13/8/18)

Jesse shut his locker slowly to see Aiden, dressed in a black hoodie and blue jeans. With his brown hair a little wet, although Jesse didn't know why, Aiden looked into his locker and sighed. Maybe like Jesse, he was tired of studying.

Jesse turned back to face his locker as soon as Aiden started to turn his way. Maybe Jesse could talk to him... thank him for the tissue? Oh gosh, that was ages ago. Maybe not.

Jesse sighed, he was acting like a nine year old or something. Shoot, he was late for class. Jesse started to walk a little faster but was stopped by someone slamming their hand against the lockers, startling Jesse.

"Move over, pinefresh." a boy said, smirking at Jesse. What a weird nickname to intimidate someone. "Uh. I'm pretty sure I'm the older one here." Jesse said, his voice starting to rise.

"So? Even if you were younger or older than me, I'd still ask you to move aside."

What a jerk. But he did ask for it. "Can you please move? I have to get to my class." he tried again, navigating his way around the bullies. He felt a sharp tug at his bag and realised that the bullies had pulled at it, spilling all its contents onto the floor.

"Have fun at school, nerd!" the bullies laughed as Jesse picked up his things. And... he stopped short when he saw it. His father's compass. But it looked different. But before he could pick it up, the bully kicked it away, laughing.

Before Jesse could say anything, someone stuck out a foot and tripped the bully, sending him flying right into a trash can. "Sorry," Lukas called, "Trash belongs in there!"

Jesse looked up at Lukas as the blonde picked up his books. "Thanks Lukas.." Jesse said gratefully. The blue eyed boy smiled gently. "If they bother you next time, just call for me. Gotta go, late for class!" Lukas pressed his biology textbook into his hands. He stood up, waved a hand at him and left Jesse.

Jesse sighed and looked down to see... his father's compass. Sitting on top of the textbook. But now, instead of its usual silver, it was replaced with gold. Curious, Jesse held it in his palm and... he could hold it... he flipped it over and saw a few words beautifully written on the back.

"I don't deserve this, you do. So wear it, and know that I'll always love you."

Lukas...

"Why aren't you in class?" someone asked him. Jesse looked up to see the principal, looking down at him. "Oh sorry... I was about to go." he said timidly as he scooped up the last of his books and hurried off to class.

✼  ҉  ✼  ҉  ✼  ҉  ✼

(12:38pm)

Jesse watched as Aiden held out his left arm. Immediately, a sparrow flew onto it. Jesse wondered how did Aiden do that... tame the birds.

"What a weirdo." Jesse heard someone whisper from across the small yard, where everyone was. Was it his imagination that Aiden looked up as well?

Jesse and Aiden made eye contact, and for a moment... Jesse thought he could see a flicker of recognition flash across Aiden's yellow eyes. But he quickly turned away and stood up, making the sparrow flutter away.

"Hey weirdo!" Jesse listened to their conversation below the tree.

"Stop calling me that.." Aiden muttered, his voice shaking.

There was laughter. "What are you gonna do about it? Punch me? Call your stupid pet birds to attack me?" Stella scoffed, flipping her hair.

"You better leave me alone." Aiden threatened. Stella laughed again. "Or what? You're gonna cast some voodoo magic on me? Turn into a wolf? Or maybe a vampire? Oooh I'm so scared!"

Jesse flinched when he heard Aiden swing his fist, hitting Stella across the jaw and making everyone around them gasp. "You idiot!" Stella cried, holding her jaw. Jesse quickly ran up to them but Stella was faster.

She raked her fingernails across Aiden's face and immediately drew blood. "Stop fighting!" someone yelled. But Aiden kicked Stella on the leg, making her fall to the grass.

She grabbed his arm and twisted it. And everyone gasped when there was a loud crack. Aiden yanked his arm back, panting slightly. "You-."

"THAT'S ENOUGH!" someone yelled from within the crowd.

"Both of you, detention and suspension. Now." the principal said, folding his arms. Aiden had a hand over his left eye and his other arm was bruised.

"I need to go." Aiden muttered, pushing through the crowd. Jesse watched as Aiden held a hand around his stomach, shaking. "..."

"Someone check on him and after he's done, send him to my office." the principal said. Jesse immediately raised his hand. "I'll check on him."

Jesse ran after Aiden, following the bloody trail.

"Aiden! Where are you?" Jesse called, looking around in the bathrooms. "Who are you?" he heard a voice say. Aiden.

"I'm Jesse... I'm in your class?" Jesse said. Aiden was at the sink, with one hand still over his eye.

Aiden looked at him as Jesse walked up to him. Jesse looked at Aiden's right eye... yellow. "Is it very bad?" Jesse asked him softly as he reached up to take his hand away from his eye.

Aiden pulled away, "I can handle it myself." was he... worried?

"No it's okay.." Jesse gently took Aiden's arm, which was covered with small scars and dark markings.

"They always aim for the eyes, don't they?" Aiden asked him.

Jesse looked at him, confused, his hand still around Aiden's wrist. "What?"

"Girls. They aim for the eyes. With their long fingernails." Aiden chuckled darkly. Jesse smiled a little. "I don't know, I've never been beaten up by a girl."

Aiden sighed, looking at Jesse. "Then what's wrong with your face?"

Jesse glanced at the mirror in front of them and saw the two pale scratches from that night he attacked the lime eyed wolf.

"Oh... glass. I was fixing up the living room and fell." Jesse lied.

Aiden's shoulders fell, as if that was not the answer he was hoping for.

"Oh... okay."

"Here, let me help you." Jesse reached up again to pry Aiden's hand away from his right eye.

-End