Chapter Nine | Fight!

Friday, February 18, 2011
Eden Prairie Academy
Eden Prairie, MN

Nailah's POV

"Did you get any studying done?" Jade asked before she took a spoonful of oatmeal.

"Um, not really."

"Girl how? We've known about this test for two weeks."

"Yeah but Ashton and I, we try to study and it never seems to work out."

Her eyes rolled. "Yeah that's because he's trying to get into your pants."

"He is not!"

"Uh yes he is too! Report cards drop next month and your mama gonna kick your ass once you go home with an F. Then they don't know about him? Your dad gonna stop his tour and come back here just to put his heel up Ashton's ass. Yours too."

"Whatever!" I cackled. "They won't find out and besides I can bring this D up to a C."

"That's if you pass this test."

And in came one topic of the conversation, Ashton Jones.

Star basketball player, voted most popular two years in a row, everyone's favorite including the staff. He had the entire school wrapped around his finger, including me.

"What's up shorty?" Ashton leaned down and kissed me.

"Y'all need to chill with the PDA." Jade complained.

Pulling away, Ashton smirked, "And you need to mind ya business. Anyway, Nai Nai..."

I love it when he calls me that.

"What we doing this weekend? Think you can get away from ya moms again?"

"I'm sure I can. I mean she's super busy right now anyway."

"You gonna let me drive the Range again?"

"Hold up!" Jade butted in. "You letting this fool drive your truck?Girl...."

"What? It's my ride Jade, paid in full."

"I don't care if it was paid in half that's not the point I'm trying to make."

Ashton snorted, "So what is your point mom?"

"My point is she has a death wish. I'm convinced. And apparently your black ass does too. Do you not realize who her dad is?"

"Yo chill, I mean like what is he going to do? Nothing. Cause he won't find out shit. Ain't he on tour anyway?"

"He is." I answered.

"Exactly. Let me go catch up with Tre though. I'll holla at your cute ass later."

"Bye." Smiling as he walked off, Jade stared at the side of my face.

"What?"

"Nothing Nailah. Just be careful alright?"

"Don't worry, I got this."

*

Shoving my books into my locker, I slammed it closed.

The last Geometry test before report cards, and I failed.

"How'd it go?" Jade walked up and asked.

"Freaking brutal. Jade I'm not genius but I've never gotten an F before. My folks are going to flip."

"You're just distracted." She held the cafeteria's door opened for me. "Plus math has never been your strong suit."