Chapter Fifteen | Barbie

Friday, June 3, 2011
NKJ71 Offices
Blaine, MN

Nikolai's POV

Scissors and fabrics in hand with the phone between her head and shoulder, Clarice blurted, "Mrs. Nelson! Call on line one!"

Picking up, "yes?"

"Come down to the lobby."

But I didn't catch the voice thanks to the piping high pitched tone.

"Wait? Who is this?"

"Difficult!" They stated. "Come down and see."

Ending the call and informing Clarice, I headed downstairs with her behind my back, turning the corner cautiously.

But to my surprise, it was only Wendy.

"What are you doing here?" I asked as we embraced. "And what was that on the phone weirdo? You could've told me it was you!"

She waved at Clarice. "Sorry girl! And why am I here you ask? Well it's only a few days before my best friend's 40th birthday I mean, no biggie right?"

Forty. A milestone but yet the age that so many women across the globe dread, fearing the idea of getting "old". But I didn't, I embraced the big 4-0 with opened arms knowing that I wasn't just getting older, but better.

"I see your point, this is a big deal."

"A huge deal! That's why I am here to make sure you bring it in right!"

Out her Prada bag came a list printed unto neon pink card stock, appropriately titled Nikolai Turns 40.

"..... And what is that?"

Clearing her voice, "Next week is the big week my friend so the celebrating starts today."

"Today?"

"Yes! Today. After your departure from here, we will go have dinner at a restaurant of your choice. Tomorrow calls for a day of relaxation and pampering so the spa it is! Your hair, nails, and anything else you like will be taken care of. Sunday? Everything is your call, whatever you want to do."

"Wow! Okay! Sounds good to me. Maybe I should be turning 40 more often."

Wendy smiled, "Mhm! And don't worry about the cost of anything. All the expenses have been taken care of."

"By who?"

"Girl stop asking questions and wondering. It's not your concern."

"But Wendy..."

"Um!" Her voice went up an octave. "No more questions."

"Alright, fine. But before any celebrating starts I have to get back on task, there's still a lot of work around here to do."

"Of course Nik, duties first." Sitting, Wendy glanced around. "Where's your extra set of hands?"

"Liam?"

"Mhm."

"He took the day off."

"Thank God," Clarice spoke. "He's been acting incredibly strange lately."

"Tell me about it."