Chapter Twenty-Two | Bumps Ahead

Nikolai's POV

"I did it dad. I went and had the test done."

Body turning towards me, Prince's glare tore into me like never before.

There had been times where I'd seen him at his lowest, completely grief stricken or consumed with anger. But this moment? Unimaginable.

I'd never seen him look so disgusted and disappointed.

"Nailah," Voice sounding in a scary calm. "Go on up to your room."

Although he addressed our daughter, his eyes never once left me.

"No daddy," she hesitated. "You can't be angry at mommy, please I-I wasn't forced. It was really my decision."

"You really gon make me repeat myself?" Loud, his stare finally broke. "Do as I told you, now."

Worried, her eyes glanced to me, forcing me to speak.

"Yeah, honey please just— go up to your room."

With one final look at the both of us, Nailah took her belongings and headed out.

He waited until she was out of our sights to speak.

"What happened to you not wanting the kids to know, hm?" His head tilted. "What happened to you not wanting them involved at all?"

Emotions running high, I just couldn't think of the words to say. So I kept quiet, which only added more fuel to the fire.

"You just gon stand there and not talk?" Clinching his jaw, my husband came closer to me. "Nik, I really need you to talk."

"What do you want me to say? You weren't willing and I was tired of asking. I was tired of waiting on you."

"But you specifically said you did not want them involved! You said that, and we agreed!" he shouted. "We had an agreement not to allow our children to be exposed to any of this. But you've gone and exposed the eldest anyway. Why?"

"Wait a minute! You act as if she's Pierce's age and completely oblivious! She was bound to find out something!"

"Yeah but swabbing her gotdamn mouth is on a whole different level don't you think?"

Once again, words failed me.

"Look I know I ain't a saint but, this—this just about blows me out of the water. You? This coming from you, not my baby. I'd never expect something like this. No, not from you."

I didn't know what to say, nor did I know what to do. All I knew is in that moment, I had surely disappointed someone who thought so highly of me.

With a lump clogging my throat, second after second it became harder to properly breathe. I wanted to get out of there, I wanted all of it to go away. The woman that managed to turn my life upside down decades prior had managed to come in and do it once again. And I couldn't help but to think had I truly given her the ability to do so.

"I'm sorry, baby..." Was all I could muster up and say.

For a moment, his features softened, becoming a bit remorseful. But the room for any sort of consolation was about to be closed.