Chapter Eighteen |An Unwelcomed Return

Tuesday, September 6, 2011
Manhattan, New York
Nikolai's POV

New York Fashion Week: a series of events that takes place twice a year, showcasing fashion collections from around the world

Although this was not my first go round thanks to previous work shown from collaborations with Cheryl Burke, it was the first on my own, revealing an upcoming collection from NKJ71. The butterflies were outstanding, but thankfully my husband was right by my side, supporting me like no one else could.

After receiving all assignments possible for the kids so they wouldn't fall behind, we packed each and every necessity, leaving Minnesota to make New York our home for an entire two weeks.

Initially the plan was to take fashion week by storm, establish more work related connections, and enjoy myself. But this one incident occurred that none of us saw coming, nor could believe in the midst of such a joyous and pivotal occasion.

*

"Two days." Prince announced.

Between his legs I sat silently, PC on my lap while he carefully brushed out my hair.

"Only two more days and we'll be seeing your designs all over the runway. You excited?"

"I am."

"Yeah but you've been real quiet since we got here. And whenever you get like that you're worried about something."

There he was, reading me like his favorite choice of a book.

"Nikolai you don't have nothing to be worried about. Everybody's been working hard, especially you. And I must admit puffer has too."

"Puff— wait... who?"

"Puffer. As in pufferfish."

I laughed. "You're a bit insane don't  you know?"

"Yes. But really there ain't no doubt in my mind about all of this, every thing will be fine. It's cool."

"I know, I know. But.."

"No buts. Trust me."

"I hear you, and I do trust you. This is something I've always wanted to accomplish."

"And you have, which gives you more of a reason to relax."

"Relax? You the workaholic is telling me to relax? Someone pinch me because I can't believe this."

And he did.

"Ouch!" Rubbing my side, "Hey..."