Chapter Twelve | Daddy's Home

Author's Note: Better late than never. Isn't that how the saying goes? The return of work got the best of me which pushed this update back until it couldn't be pushed anymore. My apologies! I do you hope you enjoy because I've edited this over and over, finally settling with this one even though it isn't my favorite. But enough rambling from me. 💜

Friday , April 22, 2011
7141 Galpin Blvd

Nikolai's POV

"Where's Prince doing a show tonight?"

"Cali. Inglewood to be exact."

Sketchbook, Prismacolor colored pencils, Pigma Micron pens, and Copic markers were sprawled out on the table as Wendy's voice spoke from my phone's speaker.

Tired, I had taken the rest of the week off from work to find some sort of relaxation.

But as a mother and a business owner, your work is truly never done.

"California huh? He'll be on break in the next couple of weeks right?"

"Yep. Right around the same time the kids get out of school."

"That's good. Speaking of the kids, how are my niece and nephew doing anyway?"

"Hmph.." Emitting a slight groan, I removed the pen top from my lips and replaced it.

"Nailah is... Nailah. Still on her butt about improving those grades. And she's done much better. Pierce? You know it's the strangest thing."

"What?" Asked Wendy.

"He's changing. Not sure if it's apart of him getting older or something else. But it happened almost suddenly."

"What do you mean by changing?"

"Well over the last few weeks, he's grown very distant. You know he's always been quite the chatterbox, attempting to fill your head with scholarly information, but not so much now. Just real quiet than usual. So, I talked with him about it a couple of nights ago.."

"And?"

"He insisted that he's fine, and that I'm overreacting."

"Pause. He told you that?"

"Yes. I know he'll be turning ten in August but my God I wasn't expecting any attitude changes so soon. Kids these days are sure a different breed than we were. Maybe his papa can get to the bottom of this more than I can."

"I think his papa is the very reason for this change."

"Wait," I sat back. "What are you saying?"

"Nik maybe he just misses his dad you know? Prince spent a lot of one on one time with him and maybe he's not voicing his need for that. It must be difficult for the little guy to be the only male around, hanging with you and Nailah. He's wanting some male bonding. Think, dad is touring, Brett's away, and he doesn't know Liam so we know he won't give him the time of day."

"I don't know Wendy. Pierce has always been very vocal and has never had an issue expressing himself."

"True." She agreed. "But things change."

"I suppose you're right. If that's the case then the solution will be home soon."

"... And once he arrives you can come party in Mexico with me!"

"Wendy..."

"Ah come on it'll be fun! You need a vacation for all of your hard work and accomplishments! Besides, it's only a week."

"It sounds great but no, I can't."

"You can."

"No," I laughed. "I can't. There's always work to do, and my kids, I've got to be home for them. Plus Prince will be here, I need to spend time with my husband before he's back to touring."