Chapter Twenty-Three | I Choose You

Sunday, October 23, 2011
Prince's POV

Traveling through the clouds, I watched as my father in law thumbed through a novel, simultaneously sipping tea from his thermos.

"How much longer til we land?"

Glancing at the watch on my wrist, I answered. "About an hour or so, not much longer."

Stretching, Melvin placed the book down and sighed. "I ain't too fond of this air travel, never been. But the luxury of this thing might just make an old man like me reconsider."

Sharing a laugh, I couldn't help but relate to what the brother was putting down.

"You get used to it after awhile," I informed. "Although it ain't ever bothered me much. Once, I wrote about half of an album during a three hour plane ride."

Melvin's head shook, "See, I don't know how y'all folks do it. I could barely focus on my book so that won't be getting finished no time soon. You know, Nik wasn't too fond of plane rides either when she was young, she'd throw tantrums until she tired herself to sleep. But now? She'll get on one for hours like it's nothing."

"Yeah," I agreed. "Brave soul. That woman can deal with and do just about anything."

"Definitely a fighter," said Melvin. "She'll fight tooth and nail for something she loves. Boy did I learn that," he laughed. "But I'm telling you man, this current situation has really..."

Pausing, the expression on his face was completely indecipherable. I'm not sure whether he was at a lost for words or he didn't want to make me uncomfortable.

"You're in a tough spot son, a very tough spot. That's my baby girl going through this, and then there's you. There's been times where I've wanted to wring your neck, but hell, truly I ain't got no room to judge. I recall a conversation with her one evening, not too long after that heifer got on the television and did what she did. I just held the phone listening, listening as she cried. Man, she just kept saying that she didn't want to be in her mom's shoes. That just about ripped my heart out. She feels as if she's reliving her mother's life."

Melvin's confession caused the dryness of my throat to worsen. The similarities of both situations were uncanny, so uncanny that I had to put aside everything that I felt.

Never in my life would I imagine a careless decision on my behalf to put my wife in the same predicament that her mother dealt with many years ago.

"My heart goes out to everyone; you, Nik, and the kids. When you told me what Nailah said, it was a painful reminder of what my kids had gone through. The only difference between you and I is — this girl ain't yours. That's something you've been adamant about. You are sure, right?"

"Absolutely. Still frightened to say that least. I just don't want to cause anymore turmoil for my family than what's already been done."

"Don't be scared son," Melvin comforted. "Ain't no reason to be. Once the results are revealed, Monica or whatever she calls herself can go on about her business and y'all can move on from this madness."

Sighing deeply, I nodded and peered out of the window. At that point faith was all I had, and I prayed that faith would be on my side.

*

7141 Galpin Blvd
Nikolai's POV
12 p.m.

m