The Heartless

CHAPTER 1

October 20, 2011

"Lift your chin up and tilt ur head to the left a little." Aava said as she refocused her camera on her subject.

"Like this?"

Kat moved into the new position and her hair fell over her shoulder. Aava looked up from her camera and bit her lip. She liked the pose but something wasn't right. She tilted her head to the side and clicked her ring on the base of her camera then smiled.

"It's the hair. Mind if I change it a bit? I think it will really pull together the vibe I'm shooting for."

"Sure. Do what you want. I trust your eye, you know this!" Kat said with a warm smile.

"Yay!" Aava exclaimed as she lowered her camera all the way and let it rest on its straps.

Aava pulled out the hair tie that was holding her hair in a top knot. Her chocolatey curls cascaded down her back and fell just above her waist. Kat laughed as she noticed the lavender ombré that her friend had just recently acquired.

"Holly shit no more teal! When did you do that? I love it!" Kat exclaimed as Aava reached her side and started to pull her hair into a bun.

Aava let out a dry laugh.

"I do too but Max on the other hand, he hates it. He'd much rather I chop it off." Aava said as she flipped the loose hair from the bun over it giving the effect of a fuller ponytail.

She moved a few of the bobbiepins in Kats hair to fix the strands how she wanted them. Kat furrowed her brows as Aava stepped back taking in the full affect. For as long as she had known her, Aava had always kept her hair long with a touch of color. It was just as much a part of her as the camera that hung around her neck.

"Why?"

Aava shrugged her shoulders as she made her way back to where her laptop sat and clicked through the pictures that had transferred over from her camera.

"We had gone out to eat dinner with Ville and Mige while they were in town last week for some press thing and after we got home he just said 'I wish you'd cut that shit already!' He'd never seemed to have a problem with it before, I've always had my hair like this. The only thing that ever changes it the color at the ends." Aava said, mocking Max's thick Brooklyn accent to the best of her capability.

Kat laughed at her finnish friend's horrible impression then rolled her eyes. She had a feeling she knew what had caused Max to flip his switch.

"Well I think it's bad ass. What did the guys think of the new color?" Kat asked.

"Mige said it made me look like a pagan priestess."

"And Ville?"

"He loved it." Aava said flatly as she picked up her camera and motioned for Kat to reposition herself.

"Well there's your problem right there. Ville likes it so Max has to hate it. They are like kindergarteners having a pissing match." Kat said as she repositioned herself on the chair she was straddling.

Aava rolled her eyes then lifted her camera and started to click away. Kat moved to a new pose every so often until Aava lowered her camera to look at the images she had captured.

"I dont understand what their issue is with eachother. I mean at least Ville tries to get along with Max for the most part. Max on the other hand, he hates Ville vehemently." Aava said with a sigh.

"Are you going to cut it?" Kat asked.

Kat watched Aava's expression as she focused on the computer screen. She couldn't stand Max. She had thought he was a royal douch from the moment she met him and she knew all too well that Ville really hated the man Aava called her boyfriend and that hatred had only grown stronger when Max's work contract in Helsinki had ended and he moved Aava here to New York with him.