Chapter Seven: Doughnut Daughter

When Wynonna awoke, Waverly was with her, and she laid on a cot in a back room. It wasn't an immediate alertness as her mind tried to make up for lost time before settling on what had just been said. Alice, her one month old daughter, was standing in the office with Peacemaker and looked older than twenty but younger than thirty. Her one month old daughter walked with a limp and a scar ran across her body. Her one month old had done some fighting. Her one month wasn't an adult; Wynonna couldn't believe it. Her mind didn't try to wrap itself around the idea, but no, it wasn't possible. Shaking her head, she wanted the thought away.

Waverly crept over before climbing into the cot space beside her. The younger sister snaked her arms around Wynonna, who held her baby sister. "Was it real?" Wynonna whispered.

"Yes. She's in there. Doc's with her. DNA proves she's yours and Doc's. She's Alice." Waverly's voice was barely a whisper, as if not to hurt Wynonna's pounding head.

"They have our DNA on file," mused Wynonna with a smirk. It was the wrong place and time, but that she knew clearly.

Waverly glanced up at her sister.

Wynonna kept her eyes trained on the ceiling. "Why is she here— how is she here?" Those were two of the many questions Wynonna had.

"I don't know, Wynonna," Waverly stated quietly. "She hasn't been forthcoming, but I think she wants to talk to you. Why else did she come to the bar last night?"

"Doc." Wynonna didn't remember much about her own parents, but she doubted that she could be a good mother to Alice. Even after Waverly had said it, there had been that nagging feeling within Wynonna. What if she failed? With Alice here, it felt like she had. Doc was-- in Wynonna's head-- the only logical reason that Alice would come.

Waverly shook her head and then smiled, which glowed of happiness. "She's so much like you. She looks like you, and I've listened to her talk. She's got some snark in her."

"I'm snarky? I think I am best described as—"

"Wynonna, your daughter is waiting for you. When you fainted, she was the most freaked out."

Wynonna slowly nodded and took a deep breath. Her thoughts ran a mile a second with so many questions, and she needed those answers. But her baby daughter was out there, and for someone, she was here. Wynonna needed to save her.

Slipping out of the cot, Wynonna stood. Her knees quaked, and she felt ready to pass out again. Suddenly, hiding under the covers was a logical thing to do. Waverly stood at her older sister's side and said, "You can do it."

"What if she doesn't like me?" Wynonna asked.

Waverly smirked. "I somehow don't think that's going to happen."

With no more excuses, it was time to face the music. Peacemaker was on the desk, and Wynonna put the gun in her boot. Waverly smiled at the determination of her sister.

In the main office, they crowded around the main table. Alice didn't say much with her lips pressed together. She leaned back in her chair and stretched her back. Jeremy spoke to her, and then Wynonna knew that look on Alice's face because it was Wynonna's looked: annoyed. Alice was annoyed with Jeremy, and Wynona smiled at the thought.

This was Wynonna's first good look at her daughter, and she remembered what people said about her leg and face. Her face was what Wynonna saw, and the scar ran down her face. It was deep, and it pulled her lip at an awkward angle. Her face, like Waverly had said, looked too close to her own. It was Doc's blue eyes, but a lot of those features belonged to Wynonna. A pang of sadness flooded through her because of Alice's apparent scar.

However, being the Wynonna Earp that she was, she went on. "Okay," she announced before she saw the pink box of doughnuts. "Those first." Pulling the box over, she found none inside.

Alice raised her hand. "I ate them all."

Wynonna's smile grew. "You're definitely my daughter."