Chapter Nine: Survivor

Jeremy desperately tried to work and Waverly desperately tried to ask questions to Alice, but after her parents had left, she had gone back to be quiet. At least she stretched out and made herself comfortable in a wooden chair that creaked with every movement. Alice let her head hang back.

"Is she odd or what?" Jeremy asked while doing science stuff. "But like in a cool almost sexy way, you know. She's a badass. But scary like Wynonna— and Doc."

Waverly gave Jeremy a look. "It's closer to dinner time. I'll go get some Thai food and bring it back." She lowered her voice, "Keep a close eye on her."

Jeremy glanced back and nodded. Alice had closed her eyes and looked to be napping, so Jeremy's life was going to be easy for the next thirty minutes. Waverly nodded and watched her niece as she walked past. With one last look, Waverly closed the door quietly behind herself.

Jeremy put in an ear bud and turned up his music. He rocked his body like JT. At this station, he had his back turned to her, but he suspected if she moved, her leg wasn't going to give it away. It became quite a shock to him suddenly someone behind him. Originally, it was panic that a revenant had come, but when he turned around, Jeremy found Alice looking down on him. He opened his mouth to speak, but she brought a finger to her mouth. Immediately, Jeremy clamped his mouth shut.

Alice glanced back at the doors while reaching for Peacemaker. Fear pulsed through Jeremy, and he wasn't sure what he was supposed to be scared about: Alice who grabbed her gun or the unknown behind the door. Alice took out her gun anyway and pushed him down on the other side of the desk. Alice tried to walk away, but Jeremy grabbed her.

"Where are you going?" he whispered angrily. He hung onto her for dear life.

"A revenant is here," she replied.

"How do you know?"

"You feel them after a while. Now, sit there and shut up. I'll be back." Alice squirmed out of his reach, even as Jeremy clawed after her. Her leg thumped against the ground every step that she took.

"Oh, Wynonna is going to kill me." Jeremy breathed heavily as the thumping stopped and something clicked. Some part of him told to get up and help Alice, but then again, Alice was the heir so it was fine.

Jeremy's ragged breathing throughout the room, and then suddenly, the door squeaked open and one gunshot went off. There was a scream— and Jeremy was sure Alice had just killed a human. But then he heard that sound that was getting way too familiar, as Hell opened up and she sent him back down. The revenants screeched, and then there was a scurry of footsteps against the ground. Jeremy placed a hand over his mouth and reached into his pocket for his cell phone. Maybe Wynonna wasn't too far away.

Three more gunshots went off inside the police station, and Jeremy jumped at every single one. His hands trembled as he found Dolls phone number and called. There was another gunshot. Jeremy covered his head. Somewhere on the other end of the phone call, Dolls had picked up and was now alarmed by all the shooting. From the other side of the call, Dolls had the familiar sound of the Hell opening up. In one fluid motion, he turned the car around.

Jeremy, on the other hand, now hid under the desk as Alice's leg thumped and the gun popped. For having a bad leg, she moved quickly, and with this, it was suddenly like many revenants had entered. Silence came again, but Jeremy didn't dare to move. Jeremy wasn't sure how long he waited, but he heard nothing. There wasn't Alice's leg thumping as she moved, and there were no more scurrying feet. He still didn't move. Dolls was going to save him; Jeremy was sure of it.

 When a head poked around the desk, Jeremy let out a bloodcurdling scream, high pitched that rang throughout the office. Dolls poked his head around the desk too, and the smiling Wynonna moved out of the way, flipping her hair back. Jeremy rushed out from under the desk and wiped himself off.