Chapter Thirteen: Flirtation

Back at the BBD, Alice sat in with Jeremy while Doc pulled Dolls aside. Wynonna had run out for a moment, but she was surely going to be back soon. Doc thought it had to be doughnuts, and he hoped maybe that would calm Alice down. Doc wasn't sure if he wanted to concern Wynonna like this. Wynonna was just going to say Alice was fine. The mother-daughter combination showed their personalities too closely.

"You've been in war," Doc began, and Dolls' eyes widened with confusion, "so..." he offered up his hands and a head jerk to Alice.

He held his arms across his chest. "I'm going to need more than that," Dolls replied.

"There's something wrong with her," Doc said in a hush.

Dolls glanced at Alice through the window, and Jeremy talked non-stop. Alice stood there, and she said something back to Jeremy. He laughed nervously and pointed at her. A smirk pulled up on one side her mouth, and her cheeks turned slightly pink. Jeremy cleared his throat and went back to work. Alice took a step closer to see what Jeremy worked on. Jeremy continued to talk, obviously intimidated by her because he refused to look into her eyes, but Alice didn't seem to mind.

Waverly had gone off to be with Nicole for an afternoon lunch, which left Alice alone with Jeremy.

Dolls focused on Doc again, thinking that Doc Holiday now played the part of concerned father. "Do you want to give more information that that?" He had a list of things already in his head of what was wrong with her, beginning with a chip on her shoulder and ending with her being evil.

"I love her— she's my daughter after all," Doc began.

Dolls interjected, "You can do that and know that something is wrong."

"She's odd, like she just looked into the woods and almost shot a rabbit because she thought it was a revenant. Her hand started to shake," Doc explained.

"She said she was abducted before, didn't she?" Dolls led him. "Alice also has been injured before too, just look at her left leg. It is possible she has PTSD or some sort of that."

"What's that?" Doc asked. "Can I catch it?"

Dolls swallowed. Also, if she said true things about the Hell ending up on top of Earth, then there was possibly other things wrong with her. "I would have to spend more time to figure it out."

"Then do that," Doc offered.

Dolls smiled. "No." That smile came off his face.

"Why not?"

Dolls paused. "Doc, I don't like your daughter, and she doesn't like me either." His dark eyes glanced back through the window, and Jeremy and Alice were in plain sight. Dolls had been nervous to leave Jeremy within Alice's reach, but she was harmless around him. Jeremy was probably the one closest to her age.

Through the window, Alice outwardly laughed at something Jeremy said, and finally, he pulled up his gaze to meet hers. His body posture was still awkward at best as he shifted from foot to foot. Jeremy even grew clumsy with the vials. When he dropped one, Alice's quick reflexes caught it mid-air and brought it to him again. Jeremy was impressed, and it showed on his face. He said something again, and Alice flipped her hair off to the other side.

"She never said that," Doc disagreed.

Dolls sighed and turned his attention back to the worried father. "Whenever she looks at me, it is like she has daggers for eyes. I don't put it past her to shoot me with Peacemaker." Dolls couldn't explain it because he didn't know why Alice hated him so. Some part wanted to protect her, but that came from him caring about Wynonna.

Doc didn't argue with that.

"What do you think is wrong with her, Doc?" Dolls asked. "She might be suffering from PTSD, but you obviously believe something else is wrong with her."

"She's hiding things."

"You can say that again."

Doc glanced at her daughter through the window, and he couldn't put his finger on it. While he didn't want to pry, there was something more that Alice was after than saving her mother and father. There was a reason Doc always felt as if she was ready to escape at any moment. By the woods, it had felt as if she was ready to shoot the next thing that came out there, and what if it wasn't a revenant but a human? The way she froze and began to shake made Doc think there was something more wrong with her than he would ever understand. He wanted to protect her, but it was too late in her life to do so. Doc had to focus on his Alice, who was one month old and outside the triangle. If he saved her, then he would save this older Alice.